Switch airlock to blow off tube?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wtaylor3

Reaction score
My 1 gallon amber ale has been fermenting for 3 days and tonight I'm brewing my pumpkin ale.

Problem is I forgot to buy an airlock at the lhbs yesterday and its too far from my house to go back just for another airlock...it'd be a $25 airlock after the price of gas was factored in

So my question is, would it be ok to switch the gallon batch to a blowoff tube and use the airlock in my 6 gallon pumpkin ale carboy?

As long as you keep everything sanitized, it should be okay. The question I have is: why not use the blow-off for the new batch?

Keep the airlock on the amber since there is no chance of needing a blow off anymore. Use the blow off on the pumpkin since there may be a chance of needing it anyway.

Is there a reason you can't just use the blow off tube for the larger batch you're brewing today? Typically, blow off tubes are used for the vigorous primary fermentation and can be replaced with airlocks when things calm down (or you can just leave them hooked up).

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

If your are really stuck, put a condom over the the top and cut the end off, should get a good fart sound every few seconds, but nothing will go in, that's all the airlock does.

Parp part parp parp

Like the condom idea. I have used balloons with a few holes put in the end with a needle or pin, and it works just fine. Would definitely put the blow-off tube on the fresh batch.

Neutron

Just was nervous about having the big carboy explode from a stopped up blowoff tube as I've read about
Also would rather ruin the 1 gallon batch from a financial standpoint

I use a blow off tube even if I don't expect a huge fermentation. It's just easier for me since the head space above my carboy in the ice chest/fermentation camber is a bit tight. I've never had any trouble with a stuck tube as there is sufficient head space in the carboy.

Use the blow off tube on the new batch, unless the present one is blowing.

I start every batch with a blow off tube, I don't change it out unless I need it for a new batch.

Hey, Obie. I'm making an IPAD. Do they make any cites flavored condoms? 😄

Neutron

Back