Sweet Southern Plum - Avoiding Explosion!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

-Kai-

Reaction score
So...I have a brewing theme going on involving plums. Its just a thing, go with it.

Cider was next on the list. I found Sceneater's Southern Sweet recipe over here and it sounded like the way I like my cider.

As I have no keg but like sparkling cider, I always stove pasteurize following Pappers instructions that are stickied up there. This is usually fairly simple, since the Northern Brewer Priming Sugar calculator covers sugar, honey, etc.

The problem child is this wonderful stuff
L_34415.jpg

Japanese plum extract, ume, loquat, etc...basically this stuff is super plum flavored simple syrup. With sake, its easy to add after pressing, with mead after the first racking, because its never carbonated.

Cider is a whole nother kettle of fish. I think I have 3 options here, opinions would be very helpful on the best way to get a good flavor, and no exploding bottles.

1)Put it in now during fermentation. Taste as it ferments, use normal methods for priming and bottling.
2)Wait until the cider tastes good for plain apple, then add extract, priming sugar, and bottle and pasteurize.
3)Let the apple cider ferment out completely, backsweeten and prime with the extract at bottling time.

Roughly 3 days into primary fermentation now, about 7 to go...

Prime with the Extract, priming sugar might be overkill. If the plum extract is actually made of plums the fructose will ferment giving a plumesque, but not a 'plum' flavor. IF however it's mostly flavoring then perhaps it will work to ferment now.
It's a pretty far fetched question but that's my best guess. Let me know how it goes! Sounds interesting!

Well I am happy to report this has turned out wonderfully. In the end, I had about 3.5 gallons of cider after fermentation on the dry end of sweet. Skipping the brown sugar, I added 5 bottles of 17oz Ume extract and have let it carb up 4 days. Its sparkling, not too sweet, not too dry. Bottle pasteurizing momentarily, ended up with 36 bottles.

Back