Sweet I'm First

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beeraggie

Reaction score
First to post in the new Forum!!!!

And to make it related, I plan on growing my own hops starting Next year so please share.

I'll be getting mine retrained in about a month. I'm adding 1-2 varieties this year, but I need to make more space for them...

I'm contemplating getting some rhizomes this year. I need to find out if hop plants can be trained to go horizontally instead of vertically. I've got LOTS of retainer wall I can attach them to.

RichBrewer said:
I'm contemplating getting some rhizomes this year. I need to find out if hop plants can be trained to go horizontally instead of vertically. I've got LOTS of retainer wall I can attach them to.

I have seen trellises where they were like a square frame, and grow up and over. The reason I think most are in rows are for harvesting purposes. I'd imagine you can just tie the vine off along the retainer, but I'm not 100% certain. I think the plant would like to have some vertical growth (~6').

RichBrewer said:
I remember seeing a small brewery in Maine that had hop growing on what looked like a grape wire trellis in front of the brewery. The trellis was no more than 8' high, the wire was probably at 6'.
So yes it is possible but it might require more work as the bines will not naturally wrap around a horizontal wire.
I was amazed this summer how the bines only had to be trained once, then they took off winding themselves around the twine up about 15ft.

Craig

I can't wait to see how this section of the forum fills up with information. I only have Tett growing right now, I can't wait to order more rhizomes and hopefully be able to trade rhizomes one day in the near future. Well, as near as the plants will allow. Someone should start a how to take cuttings of rootstock rhizomes thread, because I have no idea.

It aint rocket surgery. And by that I mean: It can't be too hard, there are some really drunk idiots making a good go of it.

From what I understand, you just dig it up and cut 1' or so off in sections that have both roots and nodes.

RichBrewer said:

A friend of mine has a bunch that he got tired of having to trellis up, so he just let them grow along a wall that was next to them. He said he didn't get quite the same yield, but it was a lot easier to harvest.

:mug:

It's certainly possible to train hops to grow horizontally. Last year I grew my hops along a string that went mostly horizontal, but kinda diagonal about 30'. You can do it, but during high summer you have to get up and train those hops every day.

Beeraggie--
fellow Aggie here. Just wondering where you are, 'cause I hear we will have a heck of a time growing them around Aggieland (where I live)...

Start training her early. Once she hits the 1-2 node mark, start GENTLY twisting pinching the trunk. GENTLY. Keep doing this as it grows. This will make a very thick strong truck, and any stress you put on the trellis-ing will not affect the root system. I could go on, but this is not a gardening website. haha. You can manipulate the hop plant any way you desire. A beautiful species.

Eb

EbenezerScrews said:
I could go on, but this is not a gardening website. haha. You can manipulate the hop plant any way you desire. A beautiful species.

Well, it is now so please elaborate. Sounds like you have had some success and need to expand on your answer for all our sakes, lol. I grew 1 out of 4 rhizomes last year and it didn't flower as expected, but I have it growing little shoots right now inside. Guess I will have better luck this year if I can find all the rhizomes I want to grow.

Orfy said:
I'm pleased to see so much activity in the forum.

What did you expect, lol? We are all into so much other stuff this sounds like a no brainer. :D Thanks for getting this sub forum up and running Orfy.

Back