Sweet Blueberry Cider Next Steps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oyarsa

Reaction score
I'm trying my hand at a blueberry cider using pressed juice from a local orchard.

So far I have fermented the cider. Now I'm going to add the blueberries. My goal is a carbonated, sweet cider. I have a keg to carbonate.

I added potassium sorbate and potassium metabisulfite to the primary fermenter and stirred it up. My thought was that it would have plenty of time to clear (though that's not that important to me) while the fruit is soaking.

My question is: Do I need to wait 24 hours before adding the fruit? And, would you recommend using a mesh bag for the blueberries (currently frozen). I'm only doing a 2.5 gallon batch, so every drop counts...

I have a blueberry apple cider going right now, i took 1.5 lbs of frozen blueberry's thawed them out. then froze them again and thawed them out again, kinda smooshed them a little to get the juices flowing. I then put them straight into my primary. after 3-4 weeks i will rack ontop of another 1.5 lbs of blueberries for another 2 weeks then bottle. I didnt use a mesh bag because its a pain in the butt to get out. And iv read its fine to stick blueberries directly into the carboy.

oh yeah and its in a 3 gallon carboy

This is my first Blueberry cider so im no expert.

Just watch how much blue berry is still floating in thete. If it's nice and clear go ahead and bottle. If its not either give it time to rest and drop solids or cold crash it to speed up the process. Anything still suspended will wind up sediment in your bottle.

Man, I hate it when people abandon posts and don't post the results!!!

Oh wait...that was me.

Soo...I don't really remember this brew too well. I also don't take very good notes. The only note I have is that I gave it 4 out of 5 stars. Must have been at least fairly good. None of my ciders have turned out amazing, but it must have been at least enjoyable.

I think I used a mesh bag and I think I put it in immediately, rather than waiting, but don't quote me on that.

Man, I hate it when people abandon posts and don't post the results!!!

Ya right.... lol

Oh wait...that was me.

Hate it when that happens...

Soo...I don't really remember this brew too well. I also don't take very good notes. The only note I have is that I gave it 4 out of 5 stars. Must have been at least fairly good. None of my ciders have turned out amazing, but it must have been at least enjoyable.

I think I used a mesh bag and I think I put it in immediately, rather than waiting, but don't quote me on that.
I've see a lot of recipes on the internet that involve playing in your primary fermentation. I have gotten the opportunity to talk to a few "master brewers" at some winery's and cider houses in South West Michigan and one on hear, every one biggest tip they offer is to work on perfecting a cider then change that cider up with back flavoring.

thanks for your update.

I think that sounds like good advice. My problem with my ciders has almost certainly been the "cider" component.

I've used local made, Costco's, whole foods, and Indian Summer, and almost as many types of yeast, I like Whole Foods with White Labs WLP 775, done side by side tasting of same recipes at same OF,FG and wlp775 comes up every time

Latest posts

Back