Swapping Valve Bodies on OSCSYS Auto Valves

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mpm262

Reaction score
Has anyone successfully swapped the stainless steel valve bodies on the 2-way and 3-way valves sold by OSCSYS?

I am interested in making all of my brew rig connections tri-clover or compression fittings without any threads. Therefore, I need to swap out the electric actuators I purchased with these valves and put them on threadless valves. It looks like I can dremel a slot on the stem of a different valve and mount the valve body on top, but, we were not sure if the actuators will have enough torque to turn a different ball valve.

How have you dealt with sanitation on a threaded system? Does recycling hot cleaning solution and sanitizer through your piping and valves after brewing clean it enough that I don't need to worry about old beer trapped in the threads?

Thanks for your thoughts.

Ok I can chime in with this one... I have swapped out the valve bodies for sanitary valve bodies.

First I tried- 1 1/2 TC Valve
Second I tried- 1 inch TC Valve

I even went as far as 3D printing mounts for the valves. The problem I incured is the actuators burning out after a while. I went through three off them.

It was a need that i was trying to fulfill, but learned that it would be just to costly for the average home brewer.

It was a need that i was trying to fulfill, but learned that it would be just to costly for the average home brewer.

Do they make 1/2" TC valves? How much do they cost? I am wondering if those might fare better with the actuators.

Were you using the actuators for the 1/2" or 1" valves sold by OSCSYS or are they the same?

I was using the 1/2 Valves from OSC, they have a 2nm toque which is the same torque as the 1 inch valve, versus the old blue 1nm torque. The one thing I didnt try was using a 1/2 tc valve with OSC actuator. I figured it would be a waste for my use.

On top of it all you need to figure how to mount the valves to the bodies. I 3d printed a mount for it. which is about $20 alone.

Thanks.

I guess my biggest question now is, if I stay with the threaded setup will it be that big of an issue? Would I be able to recycle enough hot cleaning water through the piping and the valves to remove most of the potential for contamination or would I need to tear everything apart between every brew?

I've been brewing with my OSCSYS threaded valves for 2 years now without any issues about cleaning!

It depends how anal you are. I have a completely hard plumbed sanitary rig minus seven valves with threaded tri clovers on them. It doesn't seem to be that huge of a deal

Back