Swapping my blowoff for an airlock.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

atwoheadedcat

Reaction score
Hey guys! Really silly and quick question.

I used a one gallon jug filled with a starsan solution as my blowoff tube container. My krausen has fallen this morning so I think it's safe to switch to an airlock.

I wondering instead of mixing up a new batch of sanitizer if I could use the solution that was in my blowoff container to sanitize the airlock? The krausen never actually reached the tube and I know that starsan is usually reusable. Like I said this may be a silly question but wanted to double check!

Of course it's fine,

I use my sanitizer over and over again, and never got an infection

If properly sealed like in a spray bottle or in a keg or growler - months. As long as it foams up a bit it's good supposedly. If sitting in an open bucket container - maybe a week, two tops.

I keep 4-5 gallons of sanitizer in a bucket sealed with a lid for a month maybe even more depending on a much a brew.

I usually can tell when the solution starts changing color or have a beery smell thats when a make a new one.

How much is a "batch" of starsan? You do know that you can mix up how ever much you want, right? I always keep my bucket of starsan that I used on brew day around at least until switch to airlock day. Or just use cheep vodka.

I read that if you use distilled water with starsan it will keep for quite a while but if you use regular tap water it's only good for like a week or so, not sure how accurate that it.

Not saying to do this...but I've gotten lazy before and just used regular water and that turned out just fine so you should be solid. Yes sanitization is important but...relax :) it usually works out.

How much is a "batch" of starsan? You do know that you can mix up how ever much you want, right? I always keep my bucket of starsan that I used on brew day around at least until switch to airlock day. Or just use cheep vodka.

Batch is however much I happen to mix :)

I read that if you use distilled water with starsan it will keep for quite a while but if you use regular tap water it's only good for like a week or so, not sure how accurate that it.

I've read this too. It has to do more with the hardness of the water and the fact that it will eventually raise the pH above an effective level (I think it's around 3-3.5). I've used a spray bottle of star san diluted with tap water for months and never had an infection. Lucky??? I don't know. Maybe I'm just real clean. I usually brew at least twice a month now so I refill bottles with new solution when sanitizing my equipment or when kegging.

There is no need to switch back to an airlock.
There is no need for that much sanitizer for your blow off. A cup or so, enough to keep the end of the tube submerged is plenty.
Mix up some Starsan, get some pH strips, as long as it is below 3.0 it is good.
Your Starsan is probably just fine.

I have a 5 gallon water bottle. I add a gallon of water and 1/5 ounce of Starsan whenever it starts getting low....

I seem to remember reading an article in BYO about how to know if starsan is still good and it said if it gets cloudy, it's getting to the point of not being able to do its job. It also said to use digitized water and it will last a long time and remain clear.

When I use to mix my starsan with tap water in my spray bottle it got cloudy in a day. I use distilled water in my spray bottle mix since reading that article and it says clear for weeks.

Here's the article
http://byo.com/hops/item/193-beer-minus-bacteria

It depends on the tap water. When I mix it with my tap water it turns cloudy almost immediately.

"I have never had an infection" is not a good way to judge if your are doing things the right way. I use pH strips to test my StarSan periodically. If the pH is 3 or below it is still good.

To the lead post, you should be ok. I personally would check a StarSan solution with pH strip in that particular case.

There is no need to switch back to an airlock.
There is no need for that much sanitizer for your blow off. A cup or so, enough to keep the end of the tube submerged is plenty.
Mix up some Starsan, get some pH strips, as long as it is below 3.0 it is good.
Your Starsan is probably just fine.
I have a 5 gallon water bottle. I add a gallon of water and 1/5 ounce of Starsan whenever it starts getting low....

I know I don't have to but I was over compensating a bit I guess. My last batch the blow off tube came out of my sanitizer and I don't know how long it was exposed to air. I got lucky and everything turned out fine. I actually ended up with some wild house yeast (I'm assuming) getting into my beer making my apple ale into a sour apple ale (was surprisingly yummy)! I didn't was to risk this happening with a wit so I wanted to put the airlock on.

Plus it was just a small fraction of the starsan I had already mixed up that I put in the gallon jug. I typically mix like 3 gallons in a big tub to make hitting every surface of all my equipment easy.

It depends on the tap water. When I mix it with my tap water it turns cloudy almost immediately.

"I have never had an infection" is not a good way to judge if your are doing things the right way. I use pH strips to test my StarSan periodically. If the pH is 3 or below it is still good.

To the lead post, you should be ok. I personally would check a StarSan solution with pH strip in that particular case.

I had no idea about testing the pH! Thanks for that, I have a bunch of test strips too. Thanks!

Back