sux!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DeRoux's Broux

Reaction score
man, tell me this doesn't suck! after years of kegging and damning bottles, i decided to enter my first competition and bottle 4, and keg the rest. i had to prime it with corn sugar (damn it!) and all was fine.......i checked my keg today at lunch, and there's a freag'n leak somewhere and it's been sitting for a week now. :mad: what the hell do i do????? i don't have a keg that doesn't have beer in it already.........if i empty one (by empty i mean binge drink to empty it!) can i still save the brew??????? wouldn't it be ironic if i win the 1st competition i enter and don't have any of it to drink or show off?????????????? :(

i have to submit entries in 12 oz bottles (3). i bottled one extra to try at home before the day of judging.

Try hitting the keg with a bit of gas to seal it and then if necessary force carbonate.

I'm confused, your bottles are probably fine right? I bet the keg is totally salvageable...just force carbonate it. Or maybe I'm missing something. My guess is you'll win the competition having never tasted it because life is funny that way. Then, when you get the keg all conditioned, you can pour it for friends and say, "Would you like another pint of award-winning beer?"

Cheers! :D

well, after i bottled the 4 for the competition, i just finished racking to a keg, then popped it with co2 to cover it. it was a late last week when i discovered i had a leak in the keg somewhere. the bottles are okay and ready for competition. then i was out of town this weekend and wasn't able to "empty" one of the almost empty kegs.....
i'll just force carbonate when i get a keg to put it in, like you said. just hope i didn't lose a batch? it OWULD SUCK if it win's, and i have none of the winning beer to celebrate with.

DeRoux's Broux

well, i saved the keg of beer and dropped off my entries for my competition. i just racked the leaking keg to another, chilled it for a few days, then force carbonated. tried it last night, and it's a damn good coffee porter! i was just worried it would be over carb'd with some residual "natural" carbonation left in the beer.

i found out too that the competition i am entering is the "worlds largest single category homebrew competition", or so they say. it's the Big Batch Brew Bash by Saint Arnold's Brewing Company and The KGB Homebrew Club in Houston. i would pick that one for my first competition attempt!

cheers!
DeRoux's Broux

Back