Surprise in Bottom of Keggle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jkmcd3

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So I have finally got around to working on my keggles. I cut the top of one that I have had sitting around in my garage for a little while (no beer in it) and there was a little surprise in the bottom. Not sure exactly what it is. Looks like some dried up gunk but I am wondering if that is rust?? Has anyone had experience with anything like this, and how I could maybe fix it. Was planning to use it as the HLT or the BK.

Thanks,

John

Give it a blast with some water to break up that gunk and then soak it Oxiclean overnight. It should come clean with a little 3M green scrubby.

Hot water & PBW or Oxiclean would be my starting point, then move into an acid if that doesn't get it off. Citric Acid, Vinegar, Barkeepers Friend, etc. Then a scrubby pad or better a non metallic pad on grinder or drill for stubborn areas.

Thanks guys. I have some Bar Keepers Friend on hand I might give that a shot with a scotch pad. Let you know how it turns out. I am afraid to tough it! even with a glove on!!

John

I don't think I would use the BKF inside the keg.

Too late I immediately got off of here and went to town on it!!

How did this turn out?

Turned out great. Came right up. I guess the reason I originally posted was because I was hitting it with the water hose and that stuff was not budging. And then when i began to study it almost looked like rusty spots underneath it. I was wrong, just miller lite gunk!

Thanks for all the help guys,

John

It looks more like mold, how its little spots. I had a much worse situation than you. I had burnt paper, sticky something else, some things that I'm sure don't have a name for them because thats how bad it was and I did a Oxi soak for 24 hours dumped then scrubbed with a green pad then did another 24 hour soak in Oxi and a SS scrubby and POW! in short, they have scrubbies at Wal-mart (they come in 3 packs) and an Oxi soak will get rid of nearly anything, I'm sure of it!

It looks like mold to me...

To clean up stubborn molds I like to use anything with a carbonate in its chemical structure. Baking soda, potassium bicarb if I have some. The carbonate ruptures fungal cell walls last time I checked which makes for easy cleaning.

I don't think I would use the BKF inside the keg.

Don't want to beat a dead horse, but....

Oxalic acid, the active ingredient in BKF, is one of the best cleaners for stainless steel. It is also a good choice if you are trying to remove rust.

Naturallight16oz said:
I remember some recommending a certain color oxi-clean container. blue or green i don't remember which was supposed to be the better kind for brewing. any clue?

Green lid, and the container says "OxiClean free".

Back