Support your local homebrew shop?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Recently purchased a 55 lb bag of Maris Otter in Winnipeg for $80 and thought that was a bit pricey...so your $7.99/lb makes me feel like I got a great deal!

Grape and Grain in Winnipeg www.grapeandgrain.ca will ship you stuff for a reasonable cost. Or, if you feel like putting together an order by the end of the month I will pick it up and bring it to Regina for you; I'm going to be there on the 25th or 26th.

Wow just looking at Grape and Grain's web site and that looks promising. I would realy apprecate the "free" shipping (I am sure a 6 pack of homebrew would be the least I could do) but all 5 of my fermenters are full at the moment and I dont want to over produce. I like how they make mention of their Cascade price of being up over $7.50 an oz last year and now it is down to $4.50 and that is almost a year ago.

I supose that Winnipeg is local enough for me to support.

I know that Paddock wood used to sell grains but they seem to be moving away from it. I brewed their Doubble chocolate porter as my first all grain kit and was realy pleased with the results.

Yeah Grape and Grain (aka "Scotty's" since Scott Tackaberry is the owner) has turned into a pretty decent LHBS; they carry around three dozen types of malt/adjuncts and at least a couple of dozen hop varieties, not to mention all the Wyeast offerings plus a number of types of dry yeast. They also have quite a few types of equipment (kegs, cylinders, carboys, primaries, etc.) as well as a variety of other brewing supplies.

I try to support my LHBS when I can... the only thing they really have are Cooper's kits, which is fine and dandy if I was an extract brewer. A majority of their "home brewing" aisle is dedicated to wine making, which again is fine and dandy if I made wine (although the g/f has stated a number of times that she'd like to try that).

I did get my 6gal BB carboys there. They were a little pricier than online plus shipping, but I wanted them NOW. :)

Update, here is their reply:

Thank you for your email.

We would like to offer a reply to you –

The grains kept in 25Kg sacks on the floor are a result of several of our clients purchasing those grains in bulk. Turn over for the sacks is usually within a month of them being opened. Due to space limitations attempting to find a suitable sealed container and location for it is a challenge we are working on.

The scale currently in use is temporary due to our regular scale breaking down due to mishandling.

The only yeast packets store in min-ziploc bags is Fermentis SafAle yeasts. Unfortunately our Canadian supplier only sells these yeasts in 500 gram packets. To order them in individual sealed foil packets we would be required to place the order with an American supplier – who charges approximately the same price we currently charge to us. We would then have to factor in shipping costs, brokerage fees for Canada Customs. Those extra charges alone would double the cost of the yeast before we had any mark up to cover our own costs.

In consultation with ALES Club members, the resulting price would not be conducive to their purchasing these yeasts. Should we be able to locate a wholesaler who can supply Fermentis yeasts at a reasonable cost in individual sealed foil packets we would gladly make the switch. Failing that, we would be required to charge close to $8 per packet instead of our current $3.69.

As you pointed out, the ability to purchase items for home brewing via mail order is a lot cheaper. Most of these locations are able to purchase specialized grains in large enough quantities enabling them to reduce their prices accordingly. Due to the nature of these grains and the demand for them, we are forced to locate a supplier who can sell them to us on a per pound basis (a 25Kg sack of Maris Otter would last us more than 2 years, thus requiring sealed containers for storage, space etc). our costs as a result are higher to purchase these items, before factoring in overhead costs.

Again this applies to the selection of hops we are able to obtain and carry.

You are of course free to shop where you wish, and we can understand pricing will always play a part in purchasing decisions. As more clients begin to shop on-line, our own supply of specialized items for home brewing will most certainly diminish and be eventually phased out completely.

We hope this answers some of your concerns and again thank you for your email

Sort of confused by this bit...
"The grains kept in 25Kg sacks on the floor are a result of several of our clients purchasing those grains in bulk. Turn over for the sacks is usually within a month of them being opened"
but then this:
"a 25Kg sack of Maris Otter would last us more than 2 years"

So they have grains that people buy in bulk, just not Maris Otter? How much did you pay for the 2-row pale malt?

Wing Nut said:

The grains kept in 25Kg sacks on the floor are a result of several of our clients purchasing those grains in bulk. Turn over for the sacks is usually within a month of them being opened. Due to space limitations attempting to find a suitable sealed container and location for it is a challenge we are working on.

The scale currently in use is temporary due to our regular scale breaking down due to mishandling.

The only yeast packets store in min-ziploc bags is Fermentis SafAle yeasts. Unfortunately our Canadian supplier only sells these yeasts in 500 gram packets. To order them in individual sealed foil packets we would be required to place the order with an American supplier – who charges approximately the same price we currently charge to us. We would then have to factor in shipping costs, brokerage fees for Canada Customs. Those extra charges alone would double the cost of the yeast before we had any mark up to cover our own costs.

In consultation with ALES Club members, the resulting price would not be conducive to their purchasing these yeasts. Should we be able to locate a wholesaler who can supply Fermentis yeasts at a reasonable cost in individual sealed foil packets we would gladly make the switch. Failing that, we would be required to charge close to $8 per packet instead of our current $3.69.

As you pointed out, the ability to purchase items for home brewing via mail order is a lot cheaper. Most of these locations are able to purchase specialized grains in large enough quantities enabling them to reduce their prices accordingly. Due to the nature of these grains and the demand for them, we are forced to locate a supplier who can sell them to us on a per pound basis (a 25Kg sack of Maris Otter would last us more than 2 years, thus requiring sealed containers for storage, space etc). our costs as a result are higher to purchase these items, before factoring in overhead costs.

You are of course free to shop where you wish, and we can understand pricing will always play a part in purchasing decisions. As more clients begin to shop on-line, our own supply of specialized items for home brewing will most certainly diminish and be eventually phased out completely.

I don't buy that for a second. Don't go back there again lol.

Holy **** they open the yeast packets and pour them into baggies?

They probably repackage from the 0.5 kg bulk packages. They should be vacuum sealed or purged with Nitrogen or another inert gas though - regular ziploc bags aren't particularly well suited for this purpose.

Morons, the lot of them. No way that stuff costs what they say it does. As for the mail order prices being cheaper, yes, but so are the prices at virtually every other lhbs. Don't give these guys your business. They're playing a game based on scamming people. The hell with them.

I wish I had a LHBS. But, it is illegal to homebrew in my state, therefore, no LHBS. My LHBS is Brewmaster's Warehouse. Their brewbuilder is awesome, shipping is fast, and the ingredients are fresh.

Instead of over paying and coming on here to complain, why didn't you just... you know.... not purchase the grains? No one held a gun to your head and forced you to buy.

I understand that is WAY overpriced, but you agreed to pay the price that was charged. You can't blame the store owner for that.

dfc said:
Instead of over paying and coming on here to complain, why didn't you just... you know.... not purchase the grains? No one held a gun to your head and forced you to buy.

I understand that is WAY overpriced, but you agreed to pay the price that was charged. You can't blame the store owner for that.

You have a point I would have told them to forget it but at the same time I don't blame him for bitching that is what message boards are all about! Lol. Also maybe a heads up for anyone in the area even if it will most likely be ineffective. In short, cool story bro.

You have a point I would have told them to forget it but at the same time I don't blame him for bitching that is what message boards are all about! Lol. Also maybe a heads up for anyone in the area even if it will most likely be ineffective. In short, cool story bro.

Haha. DON'T PATRONIZE ME! :mad: :D

Hey I am on a roll. Pissing everyone off. Starting with some binge drinking this weekend lol Feeling better now tho.

coolstorybroh.jpg

Like I said in my previous posts the only reason I went thru with the transaction is because I felt obliged after sending the guy working running around the store and he was very helpful with finding other hops because they didn’t have the ones I wanted. Plus I was ignorant of what other retailers where charging. I accepted the fact that the local store may be more expensive and I would be willing to pay a premium (10-15%) but not 400%.

I posted this because I thought it was an experience that others could learn from. I am not just whining to the message boards, I was looking for some advice and I contacted the owner after completing a letter with the advice from this message board.

I find it amusing how their logic works, "we need to pay more for marris otter malt because we sell so little of it therefore the price is higher". The way I see it is they sell less marris otter malt because the price is high and therefore they have to buy it in smaller quantities.

Overall I got the impression that they are saying to me "accept our gouging or we will stop selling all grain supplies". It is too bad because it would be nice to have a decent LHBS with a decent supply of grain, hops and yeast. I suspect the home brewing community in southern Saskatchewan is large enough to support a store with a good selection but they will seek out other means when we get gouged like this.

Wing Nut said:
It is too bad because it would be nice to have a decent LHBS with a decent supply of grain, hops and yeast. I suspect the home brewing community in southern Saskatchewan is large enough to support a store with a good selection but they will seek out other means when we get gouged like this.

So... does that mean you have a new business opportunity?

News Break: Wing Nut is opening a new homebrew shop!

Rule #1 for me is to always know what I'm paying ahead of time. Nothing worse than getting surprised at checkout, and being stuck with getting shafted paying for it, or being "that guy" who leaves it (and likely burns a bridge there).

Rule #2 is to know WHAT I'm getting. Bags on the floor should have been your first sign to walk out.

My local place is Barleycorn's in downtown Natick, MA. The guy there is great, and their prices are competitive too.

Actually I have a reciept here. 10.9lbs LME - $32; 39oz malts - $5. an ounce of Goldings was $3. Not bad. There's a few cheaper places, but I like the guy and it's closer to where I work and more convenient than the other places.

I support my LHBS, but damn!, $8/lb for base malts...sounds like they got the calculation wrong, and almost like it should have been $.80/pound!

My LHBS sells base for around $.85/lb (granted it is 2row)

$8/lb is complete bull ****. You can get a bloody good steak for that rate! I'd take it back and order online in the future.

If my LHBS owner gave me a bill for $8 per pound of grain I would immediately drive off to the nearest starbucks, buy a coffee, drive back, take a huge swig and then spit it all over him in shock of those prices.

If my LHBS owner gave me a bill for $8 per pound of grain I would immediately drive off to the nearest starbucks, buy a coffee, drive back, take a huge swig and then spit it all over him in shock of those prices.

Up here in Canada we would probably choose Tim's to spit on the guy. But I like your thinking on this!

Seems like every time I step foot in my lhbs I feel like I'm getting raped. Considering it's not to local bout 45 min drive. Last time I was in there I bought 1 triple scale hydrometer $13 and a 16 oz bottle of starsan $18. Needless to say I've been ordering from northern brewer since that day $7.99 flat rate shipping on most orders. Can't buy gas that cheap

i just like supporting local businesses. i really dont mind paying a few bucks extra to see a local shop stay afloat amidst a sea of big box stores and online competition.

I feel like a new lhbs is trying to take advantage of people because they are the only hbs for 100 miles. They charge $50 for extract kits that normally cost $25-30 otherwise.

I feel like a new lhbs is trying to take advantage of people because they are the only hbs for 100 miles. They charge $50 for extract kits that normally cost $25-30 otherwise.

Ouch! That sounds like they are getting into the "things are expensive because we don’t sell much" circle. I really like the coffee idea.

Lextasy, I know I was stupid for not checking out prices before I went in and I regret it now. I really didn’t want to be "that guy". Plus I had just driven 45 min. I really should have walked out, gone to Bushwhackers for a burger and order everything online. It probably would have still been cheaper.

I would love to open a homebrew shop. I remember back in Nanaimo when I was a teenager there was a homebrew shop that had huge copper kettles in the front window. I never checked it out but I understand that it was a u-brew where instead of pitching the yeast in a bucket of a "just add water kit" you could have a beer made from scratch. I would love to open a homebrew store like that! Problem is I move far too often. Perhaps when I retire it can go between the wife’s horse stable and my Waco biplane restoration shop.

Supply and demand. And lack of competition.

I'd say he's in a good spot.

...dude, they got worse since I was last there. I got S-05 and WB-06 in sealed packs, and I've bot smack packs a number of times from them. I agree that the prices are horrific though. I have had to go back weeks later to get 2 row pale because they were out though, which was just embarassing. I guess when there's no competition you can do what you please. Closest other place that has real beer supplies is Paddock Wood in Saskatoon.

thank god I can drive to morebeer. I have an LHBS that's 5 minutes from my house, but they have ridiculous pricing and don't carry grain. morebeer is about a 20 minute drive and has almost anything you could want at very reasonable prices. The store 5 minutes from my place had some ball lock kegs out and I asked how much. "$120, they're refurbished"... um yeah, that's the price for a brand new one online..thanks, but no thanks. I wish I could support them, but they're just way out in left field compared to any of the other shops I can go to. They have a bunch of blichmann stuff on the floor that I'm scared to even ask a price on.

cat.png

What a load of bull****

Damn... I just bought... Cargill Munich Malt (10L), 50lb Sack-$42.00, Schreier American 2-Row Pale Malt, 50lb Sack - $38.00 and Cargill White Wheat, 8lb - $8.00

108 lbs of grain for $88!

Ordered online from out of state = No Tax
Then went and picked up at store = No Shipping

I don't think these guys are "scammers" so much as just ignorant business owners. Some people just can't run a business effectively. Heaven forbid they invest and purchase a few dozen sealed tubs. And I'm sure they just have been doing the ziplock bag thing for so long that they don't want to switch systems. I see it a lot with small business owners where they have "their system" down, and no matter how bad it is, they are reluctant to make changes.

Back