Super Simple 15G Plastic Conical

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No need for a racking port with a yeast trap. Just remove the trap and triclamp on a hose barb then rack. Saves a hole. For the lid I used a bulkhead kit to allow addition of a half inch valve to put more liquid in.

Hello, Over the last few days I've read through all 109 pages to this thread. Very good reading. I'm ready to take the plunge. I want to order up the 15 gal conical. I want to be sure to get the right outlet. 1 1/2" FPT BOSS, is this the preferred one? I plan on using as stainless as much as I can. Thanks,

John

Yep. That's the one I just bought. Here's a link to the 15 gal FULL DRAIN model from ruralking.com

http://www.ruralking.com/ace-roto-mold-15-gallon-full-drain-inductor-tank-infd15-19.html

If you spend over $99 the shipping is free and with my banjo poly fittings for the bottom drain, everything totaled $106 shipped. Otherwise it's an extra $15 or so shipping. Also the shipping says 8-10wks factory direct but mine arrived 5 days later.

Thanks, I'll have to give them a call. When I had seen I may have to wait 2 1/2 months I thought no way and was going to buy somewhere else.

Forgive me if this was covered in the previous 109 pages, but things start to get fuzzy after a while. I am looking to typically brew 15 gal batches, but occasionally will want to double batch and get a full barrel fermenting. Is there too much headspace in the 30gal conical when doing 15 gal batches? Want to know if I can get by with one 30 gal conical, or if I should get a 15 and a 30.

Forgive me if this was covered in the previous 109 pages, but things start to get fuzzy after a while. I am looking to typically brew 15 gal batches, but occasionally will want to double batch and get a full barrel fermenting. Is there too much headspace in the 30gal conical when doing 15 gal batches? Want to know if I can get by with one 30 gal conical, or if I should get a 15 and a 30.

I routinely brew 15-20 gallon batched in my 30 gal conical. I have two 10 gal and one 30 gal. I haven't tried a 25 gallon batch yet, I don't think there would be enough headspace

I have a question. Its more of a conical question in general and not just regarding this DIY one, but I am considering building one. I understand the yeast catcher and how you would catch and remove the yeast from primary. What I do not understand is how some clean the catcher and somehow reattach it for secondary. Wouldnt that cause the air inside the catcher to bubble up through the then beer and oxidize it when the valve is opened so the remaining yeast and such can accumulate in the catcher? Or after removing the catcher do you just drain to waste off the secondary sediment and then transfer to keg/bottling bucket?

The amount of air that bubbles through is negligible. And unless you were doing a sour Solera or some other long term beer cleaning the yeast trap and reattaching it to the same batch isn't really a common task. The yeast trap is more of a device to collect yEast and to avoid racking yeast to your secondary or bottling bucket without the need for a racking port/tube.

I guess if you utilize the same conical as the secondary you could run into the issue you mentioned. In that case a small amount of air will be bubbled through the beer and into the headspace. The carbon dioxide remaining in the headspace should be heavier than the air and displace it to blanket the beer. The air passing through the beer won't appreciably oxidize it as the reaction is not instantaneous. I would put it at hours of contact to cause true oxidation that noticeably changes the taste of the product.

Could those of you who have used the 2x1.5 concentric reducer to go to 2" sight glass comment on whether you think it was beneficial or if the 1.5" sight glass is sufficient for 15gal batches? Debating if the added parts are worth it.

Thanks!

https://www.brewershardware.com/Tri-Clover-Concentric-Reducer-2-X-1.5.html

these might make your decision easier...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/51MM-to-38M...406?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cefc22b1e

http://www.ebay.com/itm/51MM-to-38M...799?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item417e9192f7

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-51MM-OD-F...318?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f2e73b7f6

Thanks for those links. Every little bit off helps me buy more fittings! I am trying to get my head around a CIP ball/top connector. I assume I need a weldless bulkhead fitting through the lid with a triclover fitting out the outside. I would want to use this fitting for cleaning, adding CO2 for pressure transfers, and for a thermowell. I imagine I'll need another "port" for a blowoff tube. With three different uses, what should the connector on the inside be? Should it just be MIP or FIP or have others put a tri-clover fitting on the side as well?

For those with the 30 gal conicals, what would you say they can actually hold, total volume, not what you would comfortably ferment in them.

My 15 gal holds a little over 18 gals (or at least there's room above the 15 gal marking that I've extrapolated to 18.25 gal)

I wanted to go to the 15g tanks. Been looking at prices shipped to San Diego 92121. Rural King 61.99 w/ $124! shipping! I added 3 to cart because at $149 it is with free shipping but the site said they are oversized, ship cost for 3 at $138. Spraysmarter $66 w/ $42 shipping. Ebay 62 w/ $32 shipping.

Any ideas?

Also how does one go about getting the wort from the BK to the tank?

I wanted to go to the 15g tanks. Been looking at prices shipped to San Diego 92121. Rural King 61.99 w/ $124! shipping! I added 3 to cart because at $149 it is with free shipping but the site said they are oversized, ship cost for 3 at $138. Spraysmarter $66 w/ $42 shipping. Ebay 62 w/ $32 shipping.

Any ideas?

I use a pump and 20' of hose

View attachment 1426796058105.jpg

Holds a little over 30, I haven't actually haven't tested

For those with the 30 gal conicals, what would you say they can actually hold, total volume, not what you would comfortably ferment in them.

My 15 gal holds a little over 18 gals (or at least there's room above the 15 gal marking that I've extrapolated to 18.25 gal)

Any ideas?

I set it up on a few milk crates and let gravity work. View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1426808095.143284.jpg

I would have to use one of my pumps to get into the conical. Lifting 11 gal keggel wont work.

Savory, any worries about sanitizing of all the fittings with just Starsan? I was thinking the heat would get anything hiding in the crevices.

If I can't find a place to get the tank for under $100 each I don't think I will move to the conical.

I would have to use one of my pumps to get into the conical. Lifting 11 gal keggel wont work.

Savory, any worries about sanitizing of all the fittings with just Starsan? I was thinking the heat would get anything hiding in the crevices.

If I can't find a place to get the tank for under $100 each I don't think I will move to the conical.

Try spraysmarter.com this is were I got my 110 gallon ones for less the $200 a peace. Then Google "coupon code for spraysmarter" one should pop up for retail me not. To save extra.

Any ideas?

Damn! They (RK) changed shippers from fedex to Conway and out the door goes free shipping. $124 to ship a single 15 gal conical three states from the manufacturer to my door is a crime!

Damn! They (RK) changed shippers from fedex to Conway and out the door goes free shipping. $124 to ship a single 15 gal conical three states from the manufacturer to my door is a crime!

I know!

Spray Smart:
Subtotal $65.82
Discount (CAT10) -$6.58
Shipping & Handling (United Parcel Service - Ground) $41.41
Grand Total $100.65

Dang, looks like I got to they party a bit late as well. Would love to snag a conical but shipping kills the deal... bummer
Neil

That stinks, not to brag, ok a bit, I got mine from rural king back around thanksgiving and used a free shipping thanksgiving coupon code.

$69 and it came in a week.

Try signing up for their email list for a free shipping coupon they send every month or two.

No worries with just star San. Its a low pH and kills everything. I produce award winning beer in mine. My last score was a 41 Belgian quad, brewed 15 gallons and got first place .

I do a 180 degree hot rinse after a 140 degree pbw wash.

I called a somewhat local RuralKing (about 45 minutes north of me). I spoke to a manager there who looked it up for me. She informed me that it is a 'special order' item and she would have to charge me freight shipping rates. She said they are working towards being able to order and ship to store for free but have yet to go live with it. So it sounds like this may be an option in the future (at which point I will order). I told her there is no way I am going to pay 125 bucks to ship a 10lb item that costs under 70 bucks. She laughed and agreed but at this point in time they did not allow ship to store.

Neil

Could those of you who have used the 2x1.5 concentric reducer to go to 2" sight glass comment on whether you think it was beneficial or if the 1.5" sight glass is sufficient for 15gal batches? Debating if the added parts are worth it.

Thanks!

https://www.brewershardware.com/Tri-Clover-Concentric-Reducer-2-X-1.5.html

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-5-DN40-Sa...905?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f1eac7779

This is a 1.5" thread by 2" TC connection so it would eliminate the 1.5" to 2" increaser requirement if your want a 2" sight glass. I've got them for two of my conicals, but haven't used them yet. I also have a 1.5" tc adapter on my first conical that works pretty good, but am hoping that the above adapter lets me do more through dumps and is less likely to plug if I don't always have the valve open to the harvester/trub collector.

Also have had good luck with fittings from these guys too who have the cheaper 2" sight glasses.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/19MM-51MM-3...t=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var=&hash=item3f310dcf19

I am starting this build with the 15 gallon roto tank. It looks to be closer to 18 gallon capacity. Has anybody tried a 14-15 gallon batch in one of these fermenters?

I do plan on a blowoff so maybe I can fit a 15 gallon batch.

I am starting this build with the 15 gallon roto tank. It looks to be closer to 18 gallon capacity. Has anybody tried a 14-15 gallon batch in one of these fermenters?

I do plan on a blowoff so maybe I can fit a 15 gallon batch.

I brew 15.5 gallon batches all the time in my 15 gallon conical. I just added a blow off tube as I have had some issues with blow off.

As an aside:

I will be adding a rotating racking arm after my next brew identifies my trub line.

I keg, so I can get three kegs filled from one batch. Once I mount the racking arm I will begin to increase my capacity by 1/2 gallon increments. I will :)determine that sweet spot for maximum capacity. This will allow me to get the three kegs plus some draw off into a soda bottle with a carbonator cap. In addition, I should be in a position to easily bottle some to carry off site or long term conditioning.

With such a large yeast trap on there, how does one not introduce tons of oxygen to the beer when you open the valve? Maybe, I'm not understanding how this works though. I suppose you could purge the yeast catcher with C02 first?

ferment with the main valve open. The catcher fills with the fermenting wort and eventually as the yeast flocculates to the bottom it enters the yeast catcher and displaces beer. Then you close the main valve and remove the yeast catcher. No oxygen introduced.

Fired her up this weekend....noticed a small leak where the yeast trap enters the valve. Will have to use Teflon tape to get a better seal next next time. Other than that its good to go!

Back