Super nube.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hamiltonkiler

Reaction score
Long story short. I want to back sweeten a bourbon fortified strawberry that I am ready to bottle In few weeks. I'm thinking 2%? 2-3% solution of simple syrup.
Slurry will be 1 cup of bourbon and 2 cups of powdered corn sugar.
What do you think?
The wine is 4.5 gal of wine and a handle of bourbon. Fermented dry and boozy.

And a question.
Can I rinse in one step and bottle or do you rinse again with water?
What do y'all do to get ready to back sweeten? Or make sure that fermentation will not continue.
Screenshot_2018-05-31-15-19-45.jpeg

If the wine is super clear, with no new lees (sediment) falling after at least 60 days in a new carboy, it is ready to bottle.

To prepare to bottle, rack the wine into a solution of campden (sulfite) and sorbate. You need 1 crushed campden tablet and 1/2 teaspoon potassium sorbate per gallon.

Airlock and allow to sit for several days. If it remains clear, you can add your sweetener. Let that sit about 5 days, to ensure no further fermentation takes place and then you can bottle.

I haven't used one step in a long long time, but it must be rinsed after using it.

I haven't used one step in a long long time, but it must be rinsed after using it.

If you have to rinse anything after using it how can that product be used to sanitize anything. Tap water, presumably, contains all kinds of bacteria that K-meta (for example) will kill. If you need to douse anything washed in One Step with plain water before you use it you might as well forgo the One Step and simply wash with water. Much less expensive, certainly more efficient and presumably as effective. You don't need to wash away sanitizers such as K-meta or Starsan... but that said, I thought that today One Step was being advertised as a no-rinse cleaner.

If you have to rinse anything after using it how can that product be used to sanitize anything. Tap water, presumably, contains all kinds of bacteria that K-meta (for example) will kill. If you need to douse anything washed in One Step with plain water before you use it you might as well forgo the One Step and simply wash with water. Much less expensive, certainly more efficient and presumably as effective. You don't need to wash away sanitizers such as K-meta or Starsan... but that said, I thought that today One Step was being advertised as a no-rinse cleaner.

Well, my water isn't contaminated- we even drink it in our house!

One Step is not approved as a sanitizer, but it is often used as one since it has the properties of hydrogen peroxide. It is labeled as "no rinse", but since it's basically oxiclean, I rinse it. If you dilute it properly, you wouldn't have to rinse it but I don't like the idea of cleanser in my drinks.

Heres a simple way to determine if you need to rinse or not.

Drink a mouthful of cleaning solution. If it doesnt taste like disgusting soapy water, it wont affect your wines flavor.

Simple...

Well , I drink the water in my house too but I would expect that if I was having surgery no one would simply wash down any instruments that would be used inside my body. And sure , we are talking about sanitization and not sterilization but even clean drinking water has many microbes in it - just no pathogens. If One Step does more than clean the surface then rinsing with tap water takes you back one step (pun very much intended). :smh:

Well , I drink the water in my house too but I would expect that if I was having surgery no one would simply wash down any instruments that would be used inside my body. And sure , we are talking about sanitization and not sterilization but even clean drinking water has many microbes in it - just no pathogens. If One Step does more than clean the surface then rinsing with tap water takes you back one step (pun very much intended). :smh:
So don't rinse after you clean/shake/pour out the one step solution? You don't want oxygen in your wine or is that little bit going to be pushed out through the cork after bottling?

One Step is the only environmentally sound no-rinse cleanser in the home-brew market today and, unlike other cleansers that require rinsing because of their alkaline nature or use materials that can be harmful to the environment, One Step is the original no-rinse cleanser and uses active oxygen to clean your home-brew and winemaking equipment.

Let me know if you have any questions about One Step, happy to answer!

Back