Super Juice home brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fungusamungas

Reaction score
Has anyone tried brewing or thinking of brewing super juice. apparently the home brew has been causing a splash in dry aborignial communities in northern canada.
after googling around some, I think the brew is being made with alcotek turbo yeast, on their website they claim you can homebrew 40% alc without distillation, using pure cane suger.
would be interesting formulating a recepe with DME!

lol
would take 20 years to be drinkable.

posts like thise (no offense) are usually from 1-2 post count folks.

show me a yeast that lives @ 40% btw, i gotta read about it...lol

last thought, aboriginies in canadia ?
thought they were indigineous to more southern hemispheres.
cheers.

Judging from the last time someone asked about a similar project, you may want to brace yourself for a huge flaming wad of angry posts directed at you.

From what I understand about yeast, that must be some super mutant strain if it can survive and keep fermenting all the way to 40% ABV. I bet it tastes like Satan's Anus, too.

Those are quite some hostile posts.

This is as close to the original article as I can find: Sybeeritic: Homebrewed "Superjuice" in Canada

I'm not sure you want to brew something that is essentially hooch and is hyped up by an uneducated news media.

If you are looking for 40% abv, save some time and just buy some vodka.

If you think it is interesting to test the limits of yeast for an interesting and hopefully tasty beverage why not try to clone Sam Adam's Utopia: Brew Your Own: The How-To Homebrew Beer Magazine - Story Index - All-Grain Brewing - 21% Alcohol All-Grain Beer

I tried using something similar, came out to about 22%, never heard of 40% stuff, anyhow, I wanted to make some liqueurs with it (i.e. peach schnapps, creme de menthe, etc...) Don't do it, the stuff is un-drinkable its sitting in wine bottles in the closet...i'm keeping it until i need the bottles at which point it will probably go down the drain.

Dave

Mods, delete this post and the one before it before locking the thread.

lol

last thought, aboriginies in canadia ?
thought they were indigineous to more southern hemispheres.
cheers.

Check the OP. The term is Aboriginal, not aboriginies. Aboriginal people refers to any of the indigenous people of Canada (First Nations, Inuit, and Metis).

Many home brewing supply catalogs have turbo yeast and distillers yeast stuck in with the usual dry yeast offerings. They say to use the flavoring extracts to make your own schnaps or whatever. The end result may end up tasting like sweat sock squeezins but it is up to him. If he wants to try it...wtf?

You wanna experiment? Have at and good luck.

Isn't there some kind of homemade booze you can make with malted barley, water, hops and yeast? Seems to me that it might be an interesting experiment as well.

Isn't there some kind of homemade booze you can make with malted barley, water, hops and yeast? Seems to me that it might be an interesting experiment as well.

That sounds lame.....

However, I just picked up some potatoes for cheap and have some moldy bread. I heard you can make sake from those right?

EDIT: for the non-sarcastic ^^^ = joke

i noticed the turbo yeast stuff too. what would you make with it?

what if you put it in a beer recipe?

turbo yeast says it can make 22% which translates to 44 proof. Some store bought schnaps are 40 proof.

If you distill it you have then commited a felony. The boys at the ATF now would like a word with you.

"Gee Mr. Ossifer, it wuz jest a 'spermint"

turbo yeast says it can make 22% which translates to 44 proof. Some store bought schnaps are 40 proof.

If you distill it you have then commited a felony. The boys at the ATF now would like a word with you.

"Gee Mr. Ossifer, it wuz jest a 'spermint"

Maybe if he lives in the USA. For all we know he is a kiwi.

i still dont understand. is this stuff just used in a sugar water mixture? wouldnt that taste like crap? or is it then mixed with stuff?

this thread is so dead but ill point somthing out... distlliers yeast doesnt taste good, its ment to be distilled... so if you just brew for high ABV then its gonna taste like crap unless your gonna um... well distill and then you need to visit a differnt site.... I have a thread where i am trying to make a very very strong apple wine/hard cider which might hit 20%... actully i can here the bubbles right now... its not hooch, its just like apfelwine on steriods... if you want high ABV brewing that might taste some what good then use champagne yeast and take the time to plan it out... dont just brew somthing that you think might get you smashed in on glass...

It often annoys me when people say things like "Why waste the time and money when you can just go out and buy a bottle of vodca.".... thats the entire meaning of this hobby, why waist the time to brew beer or cider or meade or even edworts famous apfelwine, when we can just go out and buy it at the store???... well i will tell you because we want to be able to make somthing ourselves and feel the sense of accomplishment that you dont get by just going to the store and buying it...

As for this thread its pointless to ask what it taste like or how its made here because you will meet alot of resistance even to the question... if you really interested in a super brew then brew a batch of edworts apfelwine and double the ammount of sugar and ferment with Red start champagne yeast or some EC-118... that is a super brew... and it taste good too... and after a couple of 12oz's you wont know your name...

Cheers

brewin jack. i just didnt understand why someone would make that and not distill it. i would assume it would be undrinkable. i figured they would makeit and then mix it with some really strong flavors like fruit extracts.

as far as brewing high abv stuff. the highest ive gone is 8%. i cant figure out how to get much more from my apfelwein.

how long from the time you pitch till you can drink your near 20% apfelwein. i might be interested in something like this

lol
my nearly 10% hard cider is not all that good after three months.
im guessing a year or more for a 20% version

I have a recipe for making a turbo yeast that uses EC-1118 and 200 grams of DAP and other nutrients. It produces a 22% wash from sugar and water. I use it to make a hard lemonade. Its used as the liquid for lemonade concentrate.

It is possible to make a wash that tastes neutral. To be honest I do it once at the start of summer for 5 gallons and thats it. When its gone, its gone.

Look at the Turbo yeast packages and you will see they suggest massive charcoal filtering if you plan on drinking it.

Back