Super Brew Pot ( 60 qt) (Megapot) issue

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChuckCollins

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have a Super Brew Pot ( 60 qt) Megapot and I lose 5 QT of Wort when I empty it thru the valve as it is to crazy to lift while it is hot!!any way to drain the 5 QT of Wort safely?

i agree a dip tube is the first thing that comes to mind.. alternatively make your batch 5 qt larger to account for loss.

ok...I am confused....the pot is too heavy to lift the last 5 qt of wort and dump it into the carboy

I'm guessing then that the OP uses a plate or CFC....as whenever I use my IC, the kettle is cool to the touch. If they really are concerned about losing 5 qt every time they brew, then maybe they should wait until the pot cools and then dump it in. Seems logical to me.

I have one of the 60 qt megapots too, and have resolved this problem by lifting the back side (after flame-out but still on the burner) and sliding a piece of 2x4 between the kettle bottom & the burner frame. Only lose a couple of quarts this way, mostly trub.
:mug:

Hey it is a big pot and when it is hot not the smartest thing to do lifting up and lugging around,just think about ways not to lose any of the wort without killing my self.:eek:

I guess I still dont understand the problem. I pour 4+ gallons of strike water into my MLT from a hot kettle....and then another 4+ for the strike. Your telling me that you are unable to manage lifting a "hot" kettle with 5 quarts of wort left in it. Hmmmm...

Back