Super Agata - problems

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewer3401

Reaction score
My capper leans forward when I cap bottles (12 oz.) and makes the bottle cap seat unevenly.

Anyone else have this problem ?

If so, any fixes ?

Considered pushing back on the top of the bar that houses the spring so it would be a true vertical downward motion.

Thanks

It is bolted down to a board - thick, heavy, very sturdy board.

The vertical post leans forward on the downstroke and seats the bottle cap a little off.

Sounds like the connection between the column and baseplate is defective then. I forget, is it threaded or riveted?

I had the same problem with mine, even after bolting down (I thought that would be the fix). What I found after spending a night capping empties and going through a bag of caps, is that I was trying to hard to counter the effect. I was either pushing really hard down w/ the handle, or grabbing the red plastic part that the capper is attached to from the back and pushing forward.

I found the fix to be not trying so hard when capping, and just pushing down quick w/ the capper. It seems that trying to increase capping pressure was partly to blame for my caps coming out uneven.

Starting w/ a centered cap and bottle definitely helps, too.

I had a problem with some New Belgium bottles. The bottles were shorter than the standard 12 ounce. To crimp the cap the vertical column would be forced to a forward angle. I used a 3/16" thick piece of plywood to bring the bottle height up.

I had a problem with some New Belgium bottles. The bottles were shorter than the standard 12 ounce. To crimp the cap the vertical column would be forced to a forward angle. I used a 3/16" thick piece of plywood to bring the bottle height up.

Good idea. I was also thinking of using a shim to orient the bottle to the way the capper comes down on a slight angle.

Back