Sunlight spoilage in primary bucket?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HIT_MAN

Reaction score
I didn't think it would hurt anything since it was in a bucket but the more and more I've been thinking about it the more concern I have grown. I know in a plastic or glass carboy it will ruin your beer but what about the primary bucket? I have been primary fermenting in the bucket for about 8 days, which it was in my kitchen. Given there was really never any direct sunlight there was some ambient light during the daylight hours. Do I have anything to be concern about?

Optimally you would ferment in a dark and temp-stable area... That being said, the first 20+ batches I brewed were fermented in glass carboy's sitting on my kitchen counter, and many of them were very good beers. I dont think you have much to worry about..

Optimally you would ferment in a dark and temp-stable area... That being said, the first 20+ batches I brewed were fermented in glass carboy's sitting on my kitchen counter, and many of them were very good beers. I dont think you have much to worry about..

So, your saying that the white plastic buckets don't allow uv rays to get through?:ban:

Oh Im sure some gets through, but I wouldnt be overly concerned about the effect on this batch.. What's done is done.. Next time you can try wrapping your fermenting vessel in a dark towel to keep out the light or placing it in a closet, etc..

Actully i have a qustion along the same line. i was fermenting a 1 gallon batch of stright cider on the counter top in my kitchen, with another 5 gallons in a plastic carboy of the same juice and yeast (this was under a dark blanket out of the light). The 1 gallon batch fermented extreamly quickly a little less then 2 weeks and it was at 1.008, the 5 gallons under the blanket too an additional 2-3 weeks and was at 1.012... heres the issue... I bottled the first gallon seprate and it smelled off, kinda a cross between rhino farts and rancid butter... and when i tasted it after carbing it had an overwhemlimg buttery/yeasty flavor... While on the other hand the 5 gallons under the blanket were fine and in rated in the top 10 ciders i have ever made... Both containters were sanitized in the same manner and at the same time, also loaded and pinched at the same time... To add to that, i had a 5 gallon batch which i allowed to ferment in the same way as the 1 gallon batch an apple-blueberry cider, it sat in a five gallon carboy on the counter with a differnt yeast... exactally the same problems...Large ammount of sediment, excelerated fermentation, slightly rancid smell, and buttery/yeast after taste... Everything was sanitized, the only variable i can think of is the light caused the yeast do do something... sorry to highjack the thread but has anybody noticed this as well? i am assuming the same is more ture with beer. I know the fix is simple, ferment in the dark or under a dark blanket (which i do, i just didnt have room for these two fermenters)... I was just wondering if anybody else has noticed the same problem? and what you did with the brew?... seeing as i have 5 gallons of it and its undrinkable.

cheers

Light certainly could have had an impact, but so could temperature swings.. The larger volume containers would be much more thermally stable just because of the sheer volume..

UV light only has a deleterious effect on hops. I don't know what a "stright" cider is exactly, but if there is no hops involved then you cannot point at light as a culprit.

If there are hops involved then UV rays can absolutely have a very bad effect on your beer. Skunking of hops is no myth at all. In direct sunlight the effect can occur within as little as 20-30 minutes.

If you want to test it to see, do an experiment and put a corona or Newcastle Brown out in the sun on a sunny day. Compare to one that has not been skunked doing a horizontal taste test. Yecchh! Nasty as heck.

Would be harder to monitor darker glass, whereas with clear glass you can take steps to protect it

This article seems to state UV is unable to penetrate opaque plastic. It seems to make sense since I don't think you would get a sunburn if you put a sheet of opaque plastic over you. It's also worth noting UV is very inefficient at penetrating water as well so if you ferment in a plastic bucket inside a water-filled container for temperature control there is very little chance of UV penetration.

So what do you guys typically shield your carboys with? I had mine sitting in the kitchen yesterday (not direct sunlight, but certainly not dark). Should I put it in a closet or just toss a sweatshirt over it?

They sell wraps, or peoples wives make them -- or wrap a blanket/towel/shirt around it

A lot of people seem to use containers, such as freezers or fridges, and often will stick their bottles in closets or basements

either way, careful the temp of the wort doesnt get too high. it will be anywhere from 5-10 degrees higher than air temp durin active parts of ferment

I don't really have any good way of monitoring the internal temperature.... is there a special thermometer for that sort of thing (something compatible with my fermentation-lock?)

You could get one of those soft thermometers that go on the bucket -- the bucket will be pretty close to the internal temperature

Oh, I had forgotten that one of those stick-on thermometers came with my kit! Thanks for the reminder.

Back