Summer Slump

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

farmbrewernw

Reaction score
Has anyone else noticed that their home-brewing obsession has slowed due to the summer season? It kind of makes me sad, but there is so much cool outdoorsy stuff to do here in Oregon in the summer that I can't find time for brewing:mad:. On the bright side I put 700 miles on my bike this weekend.

Has anyone else noticed that their home-brewing obsession has slowed due to the summer season? It kind of makes me sad, but there is so much cool outdoorsy stuff to do here in Oregon in the summer that I can't find time for brewing:mad:. On the bright side I put 700 miles on my bike this weekend.

Actually I was in a spring slump and I have finally snapped out of it. I have three brews fermenting right now and 1 im gonna make friday. Feels good to be out of the slump.

My homebrewing usually slows down quite a bit during the Summer. It's hotter than a fresh ****ed fox in a forest fire around here this time of year, especially when you're hanging around a propane cooker for an hour or so. Then, the water only gets cool enough to chill the wort to 85F or so, and that's if you get up at 6:30 to start brewing.

Of course, now that I say that, I brewed a batch yesterday morning, and I expect to have two or three more done in the next month or so (including one that I cannot start before 10AM and will brew in a parking lot). Nothing like living by your own rules, eh?

TL

My homebrewing usually slows down quite a bit during the Summer. It's hotter than a fresh ****ed fox in a forest fire around here this time of year, especially when you're hanging around a propane cooker for an hour or so. Then, the water only gets cool enough to chill the wort to 85F or so, and that's if you get up at 6:30 to start brewing.

Of course, now that I say that, I brewed a batch yesterday morning, and I expect to have two or three more done in the next month or so (including one that I cannot start before 10AM and will brew in a parking lot). Nothing like living by your own rules, eh?

TL

Yeah come to think of it I just brewed two weeks ago, have 3 beers in fermenters right now, and I'm planning on brewing this weekend. Maybe it's not as bad as I thought :rockin:. I guess I'm just coming off that euphoric high from when I started all-grain brewing back in January, must be much like the feeling you get when you start going out with someone and after a few months those tingly feelings go away, good part about beer however is depending on the strength and amount you can always get the tingly feelings :drunk:

700 miles on your bike in one weekend? That's impressive! I assume you mean motor-bike

I'll probably slow down brewing a bit this summer, but only because I have enough beer in the pipeline now that I can relax and drink for a while.

Yep..and I've unfortunately gotten some off-flavors I believe from conditioning too warm...and I think I have a bug in another batch. My own fault for sure-but yes, for me the Summer is full of disc golf, other outdoor stuff, travel, various projects, and more disc golf. I've got to put in a drainage ditch this Saturday...if anyone wants to take care of that, I'd be happy to brew instead;)

700 miles on your bike in one weekend? That's impressive! I assume you mean motor-bike

I'll probably slow down brewing a bit this summer, but only because I have enough beer in the pipeline now that I can relax and drink for a while.

Yeah it was a motorbike it was some good times, saw some pretty country.
2%20bikes.jpg

The only thing slowing me down is the oppressive heat. You don't even go bike riding to far out here. 112 degrees in full leathers boots and helmet, I need my brain for brewing and to destroy with my beer. I've been looking at the next step in my brew rig for the last 2 days, thinking it just a few more welds. Unfortunately that requires leathers and helmet also. LOL my neighbors are unappreciative of midnight grinding no matter how much beer I bribe them with, and the cops aren't any better. even 5 gallon batches on the stove would make it wicked hot inside. I wish I lived in Oregon too.

Just the opposite for me...I banged out 4 AG and 1 extract batch this weekend. :mug:

It's hot as hell here right now, and for some reason that makes slaving over a boiling kettle seem like a good idea.

Summer is outdoor project time. I finally got the old garage door removed and I'm trying to finish in the wall before the real heat hits. All the banging is really annoying the barn swallows that nested on the patio light. They go zooming through the framing & make a heck of a lot of noise. I may put off installing the window until after the chicks are flying.

Not doing any brewing though, don't what them making bombing runs on the kettle. Plus, summer is Fest time

I've just been so busy with house projects, it's been tough finding time to brew. I was planning on brewing a batch this coming weekend, but now looks like there's a BBQ at the folk's house. Maybe I'll get up at 6AM and brew before we leave....

which is why Im up at 5am to start my brewday. Everything is cleaned and put away by 10 which leaves the whole rest of the day to do whatever.

Oh, I've done that before (well, 6:00, not 5:00). I'm usually toast by late afternoon, though. I really want to get some things brewed, though, and we've got some parties coming up that I want to bring some stuff to.

I've been in a bit of a slump, but not a big one. Haven't brewed for about a month. I am actually lucky though. My basement never gets higher than 66 during the summer, so I have a nice place to ferment year round. However, I have been busy getting married and going on honeymoons and housework and blah blah blah....I am brewing Saturday though. Havent figured out what yet, but something.

Yeah I think yard projects have been my biggest obstacle this year, SWMBO and I decided to plant a rather large garden this year in the hopes that we can put up a lot for the winter months. I've decided that I need to make a drastic change in my career which means making a whole lot less money, I just applied at a homebrew store/bottle shop in the hopes of taking the leap into the beer industry.

farmbrewernw, nice shot of the Painted Hills. my roommates and I went there last December, bite ass cold. How's the weather now? we were thinking about heading back this summer for some more photography.

btw, this is my photo of that same shot:

2317032189_bb64648f95_b.jpg

:D

I have to do my brewing late at night. My small little apartment heats up pretty quick when I have a pot of water boiling for an hour. MY poor, little A/C unit can't keep up fast enough. I'll have my thermostat set at 75 and the temperature reading will be 80+ on it by the time it's all said and done.

Summer is all the more reason for me to be in my basement brewshop.

At 68 degrees year round, it's nice on those 100 degree afternoons when the only sound outside is that of grasshoppers bursting into flames from the heat.

My problem is that I drink less in the summer so my kegs are backing up...time to buy a couple more...:D

farmbrewernw, nice shot of the Painted Hills. my roommates and I went there last December, bite ass cold. How's the weather now? we were thinking about heading back this summer for some more photography.

btw, this is my photo of that same shot:

:D

It was warm I would say around 85 but come mid summer it will probably be around 100 or so, I know I spent 6 weeks over there in the summer for a Geology field camp.

Back