Summer shanty for beginners.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jezwald101

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hello all.
New to this awesome road to making home brews. I have made 5 home brews from kits so far. So basically a virgin. But anyways if yall could help me out I'm looking to make a summer shanty for my wife's birthday party. About 11 weeks out.problem is she don't like beer but I'd like to make a beer like a shanty so it is more of a cocktail than a beer but still getting me more practice making beer. Any help appreciated. Thanks yall

Brew something light such as a Kolsch, then blend it in the glass with whatever soda you want to use.

I did it one year, and used a Mexican soda, Jarritos Grapefruit, it worked out great. It is made with sugar, not corn syrup, like a lot of American sodas.

I've got a recipe that I was planning to make a munich helles...
Was just thinking of kegging some lemon juice, water, sugar and carbing up to 3 volumes in a smaller keg I've got free.
Blend those and you've got a German Radler (which is almost nearly the same thing as a Shandy)

Personally I love a citra pale ale for a shandy. All whirlpool and dry hop so no bitterness but plenty of fruit flavor to go with the mixer.

What do u guys think of Northern brewers lemondrop saison extract beer recipe kit? Then add the lemonade to it before bottling?

Then add the lemonade to it before bottling?

I assume you will be bottle conditioning. The yeast will consume all of the lemonade's sugar in addition to your priming sugar. If you don't get bombs, it'll be overcarbed and dry.

Perhaps you're making your own lemonade from scratch and can account for exactly how much sugar is in there, using it for the priming sugar. It'll still be dry. Not sure if that's what you're looking for.

You could make your lemonade with a non-fermentable sugar substitute. That's a route some take for bottle conditioning sweet cider.

Shandies are usually mixed just before drinking.

So I'd have to find out what kind of sugar is in it and how much? And just use that sugar as my priming sugar.

Yes, for safe and appropriate carb levels you must figure in the lemonade's sugar (including the sugar in the lemon juice). Lemonade tends to have a ton of sugar. The yeast in bottle will eat it all.

Safe carbing aside, think of diluted lemon juice with no sugar, not even the sugar naturally present in the juice. That's what you'll be mixing with your beer.

Brew and bottle your beer. Mix up your lemonade. Mix the two in a glass or pitcher. It's how shandies are made. I really like to make my lemonade from concentrate with a good spicy ginger beer in lieu of water.

Well thats pry gonna make for a not so good Shandy if the sugar is all gone. And I can't kill the yeast since I'll need it for carbonation. May just have to do like u said and make beer then add the juice when pouring. Question, how does leinenkugels make a summer Shandy 🤔 and bottle it?

I figured they pry did it with some high tech equipment, which I don't have of course. I dont even have kegging equipment yet. But hoping to get to kegging soon.

Skeeter Pee or something similar, skip the shandy unless she has tasted it first

Honestly i made a psuedo lager from lutra and used some lemonade to make a shandy and it was good, but nowhere near a hefe and lemonade aka radler, god nothing does it quite like a german beer and lemonade or grapefruit.

Back