Summer Rye from Modern Homebrew Recipes (Gordon Strong)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nexy_sm

Reaction score
I wanted to ask if anybody tried Summer Rye recipe from Gordon Strong's book Modern Homebrew Recipes, because I belive there is an error in the recipe.

The original recipe calls for:

4.5kg two-row
1.4kg Golden Promise
1.4kg Wheat malt
0.68kg Rye malt

and 57g Motueka (7.5%) all late hops (estimated IBU feel 25), hop stand for 20 minutes. It should make 25L of beer.
Namely, this amount of malt is too much for only 25L. But the amount of hops is not enough I guess for all late hops in 40-45L to have IBU of about 25.

I guess the amount og hops should be roughly doubled. What do you think?

I don't believe there is an error...I looked up the recipe and put into Brewfather came in within style guideline and all the numbers checked out.

Why do you think the flameout addition needs to be doubled?

Well, because this amount of malt is not for 25L but for about 40L. I usually make ales in about 50-55 IBU range, all late hops, and in order to achieve this on 22L batches I need about 100g of hops (ok it depends on AA percentage). The point is, the malt bill is already wrong, so the hops could also be. Plus, I use brewers friend, with this amount of hops at 42L batch i get around 10 IBU.

The recipe you provided is definitely for 25L or 6 gallons here in the US. 40 L would 10 gallons so yes you would have to up everything grist and hops.

Hi, there is 7kg of malt in this recipe, this is not for 25L. With this amount of malt and 75% efficiency which is stated by Mr. Strong you can make ca. 40L of beer.

Latest posts

Back