Summer recipe challenge

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

forgedinmetal666

Reaction score
My buddy and I are trying to come up with a recipe for an unusual summer beer. We're hoping for a Red/Amber beer, with a modest wheat content, about 30 IBU and around 7% ABV. The catch is we want it to be very crisp and American, so a traditional German Dunkelweizen would be too fruity and estery for us.

Anyone have any recipes or suggestions?

39.5% 2-Row
39.5% Red Wheat
10.0% Torrified Wheat
10.0% Vienna
1.00% Black Malt

Use any hop you desire, character-wise to attain 30 IBUs from 60 & 10 minute additions.

Follow-up with a hopstand and dryhop if desired.

WLP001

I like bobbrews recipe above! :mug:

Remember to use rice-hulls when mashing so much wheat to avoid stuck mash/lauter. Also, mash low (148F - 150F) to keep it very fermentable! With WLP001 or US-05, you should finish in the high single digits .. 1.006 - 1.008 .. crisp & dry!

Also, the black malt (or Carafa III) can be added in the last few minutes of the mash, or during the sparge to reduce the roasty character, and still get the darkening aspect. My taste buds pick up on the roastiness easily, so I like to subdue it early .. however, with a few weeks of aging, it drops away easily.

Good luck,
--LexusChris

Back