sulfur smell

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SledgeH

Reaction score
I've currently got two very different brews with two distinct yeast strains that are creating quite the sulfur odor. While I'm relaxed and drinking a home brew, since I've read that some yeasts produce this smell, I do have some questions. anyone know why this smell is produced? And how long these are going to have to sit before the yeast clear the odor?

One is a honey/LME/crystal hop ale using 2112 Wyeast.
One is a hard lemonade experiment with concentrate/DME/sugar using red star champaign yeast

The only thing the two have in common is cane sugar (missed my OG on the honey ale and boiled 2 cups worth to hit my target)

any ideas?

Yeah some yeasts can do that on most it tends to gas off after time just swirl it every now and again and drive the sulfur gas out of suspension. It will gas off with the Co2.

The sulfur smell can be produced when the yeast are stressed. I'm making a hard lemonade right now and I was getting a really heavy sulfur smell at the beginning. For me I just added about a tsp of yeast nutrient and energizer and it cleared up in a week.

Whew! Glad to read all these sulfur threads. I only brew a few times a year anymore and this latest creation started putting out quite the odor after two days in primary.
5# raw Colorado Wheat
5# Colorado 2-row malt
6# raw Colorado honey
2oz Colorado grown Nugget hops (Get it? Denver Nuggets!) :)
Corriander seed
Dried orange peel
WLP320 American Hefe

Anyway, first couple of days, I thought the cats were missing their litter box, it smelled so bad in the basement! Thought I'd have to name the finished product Cat's A$$ Wit! Today I noticed the smell had dissipated quite a bit and the blow-off was starting to smell like beer. Whew! Gave the carboy a good swirl to get the C02 to push out the last of the bad air. That worked very well. Noticed the temp was about 67F...maybe a little cool?

Plan to let it sit another day or two in primary, rack it to seconday and let if go a week or two then off to bottling.

Will update the results.

Back