Suggestions to improve heating efficiency from propane burner

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DannyK

Reaction score
I have searched up and down the forums and can't find the answer to my question. My brew rig takes a long time to get water/wort to temp. I have a low pressure Marshall Gas 150 propane regulator www.squibbtaylor.com/brochures/marshallgascatalog.pdf, a 6 inch (hurricane like) burner, under converted kegs. I think the burner is a cajun cookware Amazon.com: Cajun Cookware Burners Low Pressure Gas Burner: Patio, Lawn & Garden but mine has no markings.
It takes over an hour and a half to get 10 gallons from 68 to boiling. I have the vents wide open and everything appears to be functioning.
My questions.
Is this typical?
Can it be modified to increase the heat output?
How much effect does wind have on the process? Wind seems to sneak under the keg and blow the flame around even though the burner is level with the base of the keg. I am wondering if a better wind block would help.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thank you.
Danny

Last edited by a moderator:
Try a better wind block. I had great success by making one. Most hardware stores will sell small sheet metal for just a few bucks... buy some and bolt it on.

Do you have the fuel air mixture set correctly with your little air shutter? It should be burning a clean blue flame with no orange or red. Opening it too much or too little will negatively impact the combustion and heat output.

To improve the heating efficiency of the boiler, first know the heating capacity of the boiler and then check the energy required to heat at the certain temperature. This may require the heating repair and service expert. Consult with the HVAC contractor they will guide you.

Tin foil wind shield.

brew+kettle-2328733809-O.jpg

Wrap the top half/ 3/4 in Refectix insulation. With a wind screen, you should be able to cut down your times.

Back