Suggestions on cheap brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

4arrows

Reaction score
Howdy there all, im wondering if y'all can help me decide on a brew for this Saturday.
I am on a very tight budget this pay period, and my options are to brew cheap, or not brew at all.
I was considering trying a SMaSH, but have no experience in those. I BIAB, and am limited to 5 gal batches.
Help me out home brewers, I want to keep brew in the pipeline!!

Keep your ingredients simple. 10.50og Pale malt, a bit (5%) of lighter crystal, use 1 oz magnum for 60 min, 1oz cascade 10 min, 1oz cascade dry hop. There are cheaper recipes, but I usually do something like this as a Haus brew but with some Munich, wheat, and more dry hops.

Get your grains double crushed at the LHBS. This will help with extraction and since you're doing BIAB, you don't have to worry about a stuck sparge. You'll probably want to stick to American malts and hops. I would do something like 90% 2 Row and 10% Munich. Maybe throw a touch of Carapils or flaked wheat in there for foam stability.

You'll probably have to stick to the original C's for hopping as varieties like Simcoe, Citra etc are much more expensive per ounce. My favorite of the cheaper C's is Columbus. Maybe do a nice mix of Centennial/Columbus/Cascade, Columbus for bittering and the other two for flavor/aroma.

One of the cheaper batches I brew are SMaSHs. $21 which includes 9 lb. of US 2-row, UK 2-row, Vienna or Maris Otter, $3 for dry yeast (US-05 or S-04) and $4 for 2 ounces of hops (I usually buy by the pound which is way cheaper).

Cream ale is even cheaper. I'll use 1 lb. of minute rice and buy 6 lb. of US 2-row ($9.60), 1 lb. of flaked corn ($1.90) plus $3 for dry yeast and like a half-ounce of columbus hops to bitter (50 cents).

For under $25 you could make almost any non-hop bomb 4-5% ABV beer. Doesn't have to be a SMASH although a Vienna Mosaic SMASH is a thought.

Dry yeast $4

Grain for a ~1.045 batch using domestic grains (~9lb @ $1.60/lb)=$14.40

Domestic hops 3oz ~$6

Under $25

Loads of great options. Here's a great one from @Edwort .

Here is one of mine and is a bit more at ~$30 so is probably out of contention as an option.

Edwort's is great. Just made a similar version of it a few weeks ago. Really easy, really cheap, really tasty. Popular for good reason.

If you're looking to save money in the long run, I suggest becoming an AHA member. My LHBS offers 10% off all ingredients for AHA members. I've saved a ton of money this way. Check with your LHBS and see if they offer the discount. The membership will pay itself off in a couple months if you brew regularly

Howdy there all, im wondering if y'all can help me decide on a brew for this Saturday.
I am on a very tight budget this pay period, and my options are to brew cheap, or not brew at all.
I was considering trying a SMaSH, but have no experience in those. I BIAB, and am limited to 5 gal batches.
Help me out home brewers, I want to keep brew in the pipeline!!

What's your price point? What kind of beer do you enjoy?

FWIW - see if you can buy grains and hops in bulk (about $1 per pound or ounce, respectively) and re-use yeast (rack onto yeast cake, wash it, or make some extra in a starter to save in the future). Many beers I brew are less than $25/batch this way. Even IPAs.

edited - or just brew BierMunchers Centennial Blonde.

Mrin, your links aren't working, I appreciate the responses. Keep em coming, I will collect them for the lean weeks.

I like a lot of different beer, I'm enjoying trying new styles. I'm trying to come in under $20, less if possible. I'm on my on my 4th AG brew so, still learning and trying to dial in my process and small system.

If you like ESBs you can do Bit R Done. It's tasty, cheap, and easy. I use it as my "practice" beer whenever I try to improve something. It also turns out that it's delicious so having an extra 5gal keg on standby isn't a bad thing.

Biermuncher's Blonde, just the 2row and hops...forget the Vienna and dextrine. That's my house version and everyone likes it....BMC style. Carb to 2.9 vols and its grand.

Oah, and us05 instead of Notty.

Scottish Ales and Irish Red's are pretty cheap.

Don't have a recipe but hops and yeast tend to drive up costs. You can make both with US-05 and their hop bills are on the low side.

Normonster, if i just use the 2-row in Biermuncher's Blonde, do I replace the other grains with 2-row? or just remove the other grains from the equation?

Again I appreciate all the help, I am looking into washing and reusing yeast, need to do some more research before I launch into it.

I assume you have a grain mill or can borrow one.
  • Buy a 50 or 55 lb bag of base malt (pale ale malt, pale 2-row, pilsener, or Vienna) and use a lot of that with just a tiny amount (if any) of specialty malts. The excess malt will fit in two 5-gallon buckets with tight-fitting lids, and you can use it for everything.
  • Brew styles that don't require many ounces of hops.
  • Use a dry yeast, like Nottingham.

Normonster, if i just use the 2-row in Biermuncher's Blonde, do I replace the other grains with 2-row? or just remove the other grains from the equation?

Again I appreciate all the help, I am looking into washing and reusing yeast, need to do some more research before I launch into it.

Don't wash, do reuse. Very simple to save and store yeast slurry.

Washing doesn't wash. Lots of extra work to no benefit.

^^^I've done this with various yeasts to great success. I would try and go from lighter to darker beer and less hoppy to more hoppy if possible.

I've kept slurry in sanitized jars for many months without an issue.

^^^I've done this with various yeasts to great success. I would try and go from lighter to darker beer and less hoppy to more hoppy if possible.

I've kept slurry in sanitized jars for many months without an issue.

As have I. It's a great way to save money and store some of the trillions of yeast cells at the bottom of every FV. Really beneficial if you use just a few strains repeatedly and frequently.

saison!!!!!!!

belle saison dry yeast is cheap. realistically one pack is fine for 5 gal. even better if you can get some lacto into the mix for a tart saison.

and the style is amenable to just throwing whatever you have on hand into the grain bill. two row, pils, medium to lighter crystals, vienna, munich, all the cara's, wheat, corn, rice are fine. even oats would probly be ok- a little weird, but ok. light/pale saison, amber/red/dark saison- why not? about the only thing i'd avoid is roasted malt. (although i did have a nearly black sour once that was interesting.....)

so i guess the question is - how broke are you, really? when i was broke, i'd head over to the "sale" cart at the LHBS. there'd be an old dusty 3lb can of LME, a few random bags of DME with duct tape covering a spot where they'd been ripped open, some old recipe kits that didnt sell, etc. ever notice that the scale/milling/weighing area of the LHBS is a mess? i'd offer to clean up the tables, scales and mill area if i could take it home. and definitely double-crush your grains if you do BIAB.

got any fruit trees nearby? my neighbor has apricots and pears they let us have whenever we ask. jack up your sugars by juicing some old ripe fruit into your carboy for a tart fruity saison. or go prison style and use prune juice. or canned fruit cups. your regular white/brown/turbinado sugars, corn syrups, molasses, etc. are all cheaply bought in bulk at your local supermarket if you wanna add some alcohol for a bigger, drier saison.

the possibilities are very wide with this style and overall its alot more friendly to work with when you're using whatever you can scrounge up cheaply. farmers know how to make do with what you've got on hand, its a good way to think when you're cash poor.

Thanks again all, I was looking at the Cream of 3 Crops along with the Centennial Blonde. both look pretty good for a digging change out of the couch kinda brew. And I am kicking myself for not saving at least some slurry from the last couple batches I have done.

I am wanting to begin buying primary grains in bulk, but am just getting started in brewing and was hesitant to invest until i figured out what we like to drink and what it takes to brew it. I keep trying to get to a semi-local homebrew club in DFW to learn and sample (hint, hint) and figure out some new and fun stuff to brew.

I'm not BROKE broke, just "a little short on available funds for beer this pay period". Life kicks ya in the shins some weeks, ya know.

I haven't done a Saison yet, and am not real familiar with that style to even know what it is exactly, but it is a good suggestion that I will file away. I have an apricot tree in my yard that I am waiting to see what it is going to produce this year. We have had some strange weather this year in N. Texas and I am not sure what kind of a crop we will get.

Again, I really appreciate all the help, and suggestions. It is nice to come into a hobby where seasoned people actually WANT to help newcomers, instead of just insult and belittle them.

4>---->

Cheapest brew you could make and want to drink would be pretty much all 2-row with about 2oz of hops.

Although for a couple more bucks you could do 90-95% pale malt with 5-10% light crystal, and the same 3oz of hops, and you'd have a much better beer. Aim for about 1.050. This is basically like EdWort's Haus Pale.

If you can decently adjust your water to get the proper pH and have fermentation temp control you'll probably end up making yourself a good CHEAP beer.

Keep your ingredients simple. 10.50og Pale malt, a bit (5%) of lighter crystal, use 1 oz magnum for 60 min, 1oz cascade 10 min, 1oz cascade dry hop. There are cheaper recipes, but I usually do something like this as a Haus brew but with some Munich, wheat, and more dry hops.

This is pretty close to what I was going to suggest.
Mine is basically a near clone to the New Albion pale ale that Sam Adams brewed a few years ago.
11.5lbs pale 2-row.
.5 of crystal 10
2 oz cascade split 2/3 oz each at 60, 30 and 15 (I rebrewed it with 60, 10 and FO and preferred it - a bit more flavor and aroma)
WLP 001 / Wyeast 1056 / S-04 (all the same)
OG 1.060
FG ~1.014
A real tasty, easy drinking brew.

Don't feel like reading the whole thread but I'll say this: hops are more expensive than grain, and SMaSH beers need hops or they're just boring.

I'd suggest doing a Hefeweizen. Fairly low gravity, all base malts that should be inexpensive compared to specialty malts, low hops, often benefits from a little underpitch meaning you can usually get away with no yeast starter.

You could sub more 2-row or just leave them out. There'd be a small affect on ABV either way. The specialty grains are more for mouthfeel, head and color and some flavor. Straight 2row makes a fine brew IMO. I do it all the time.

Far as yeast reusing, not me. Us05 is awesome and dirt cheap. I will pitch an IPA onto a blonde yeast cake but I never bother to actually remove and save any.

Cream of three crops.$15 for a 5 gallon batch..Aint getting much cheaper

I'll second this. Add a half pound of honey malt for a little body and honey taste. Not a huge light beer drinker but I blow through this stuff. Also if you think ahead I usually use the yeast cake for a bigger beer.

I am going to try the Centennial Blonde this weekend. Picked up supplies this morning. $23 with grain, hops and yeast.

My go-to cheap and easy but most flavorful beer is Dry Irish Stout. It's under $20 if you're reusing yeast and buy your priming sugar in bulk.

http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/dry-irish-stout-all-grain-kit

Add $4 for dry or $7 for liquid yeast. I live near both of their Minnesota stores, so I don't have to pay for shipping, otherwise they have flat-rat shipping for $7.99. That said, it's an easy recipe and you can get the ingredients at any LHBS near you...

Back