Suggestions for NB Irish Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eadavis80

Reaction score
So my buddy and I combined for a $100 order in order to get the free NB Irish Stout on their current offer. What suggestions do you have for that stout in order to make it a little more robust? Given the reviews, it sounds like a fair amount of people think it's a glorified brown ale. Should we add some dark DME? Lactose? Coffee? Cocoa nibs? Vanilla beans? What yeast would you suggest for this one?

I just looked at the inventory - you'll have 6 lbs of LME and 2 oz of cluster. You can make pretty much anything with that. Leave out the 1 lb of roasted barley and make a lawnmower beer. Add a whole bunch of C-hops and make a pale ale or IPA.

Or if you're set on making a stout, add some chocolate malt and c-60 to the steeping grains to liven it up a bit. I find that equal parts of roast, chocolate, and c-60 is a good combo.

Another thought: Make it a 4-gallon batch, which would get it up to Export strength.

Get a pound of 2-row, and a pound of rolled oats (quick or instant from the supermarket) and do a partial mash with these and the pound of roast you got with the kit. The 2-row needs to be crushed, but the oats don't Just make sure the oats say 'Rolled', and not 'Cut'. The rolling rocess geltanizes the oats, so they can be mashed.

It will raise the gravity by about 14 pointsand give the beer some extra body. Since it is an extract batch, I'd try mashing around 148/150 F.

With 1# of roasted malt and 2 ounces of cluster hops this will be quite a bitter beer in the beginning. I think it will mellow out over time and be quite tasty by the fall and winter when you'll crave it.
I think that everyone is giving you good ideas here about alterations but you may want to just see how it turns out and use it as a baseline for future stouts. This is a really fundamental recipe. It's kind of nice to have a low gravity beer that won't leave you cross-eyed.

Back