Suggestions for British Crystal Malt usage

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fineexampl

Reaction score
So i have a hefty stockpile of British crystal malts. My problem is that i bought them on a whim and without a recipe. I figured, well it'll be good to have some crystal on hand.

So on my "to brew" list is a Scottish heavy, an American style something to use the Ballantine ale strain, and a standard APA.

As of this moment my malt stock is as such: MANY pounds of Golden Promise, 10lbs of 6row, just shy of 20lbs wheat malt, and the following aforementioned crystal malts:
3lbs British Crystal Malt I (Fawcett) 45L
3lbs British Crystal Malt II (Fawcett) 65L
1lbs Carastan Malt (Bairds) 30L

I also have about 7lbs of various hops to choose from.

So i ask you dear brewing brethren...what would you brew??

(and forgive me if this is just another crummy clogger of a post)

(actually don't. at least it's not another "did i ruin my beer?" post)

Oh look...time to poor a pint!

I think I'd darken some of the darker stuff up in the oven and make some bitter, but I'm a ordinary bitter kind of guy.

I think I'd darken some of the darker stuff up in the oven and make some bitter, but I'm a ordinary bitter kind of guy.
It's not a bad idea. i've been looking over English bitter recipes in general, but nothing stood out. I'm also at a loss for a proper cooling setup for a couple weeks, so i have time to plan all this out.

Checked my malt supply just now: also have 3/4lb of acid malt and a wee bit of roasted barley and some black patent.

I've been wanting to experiment with Carastan, so if it was me, I'd use a base of GP + 1lb Carastan + .5lb sugar to make a 1.042-1.046 Bitter. Challenger at 60, Fuggles at 15 and EKG at flameout.

Back