At it again, barleywine 2014 #2 recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chadwick

Reaction score
I love my barleywines. I usually post the recipe when I do in this forum. Mostly, It's a reference I can look back on. These things take so much time. I usually lose paper notes, PC drives are often replaced, and other reasons. In short, HBT doubles as my notepad. A nice plus is that I have the opportunity to draw feedback on my recipes too.

2014 barleywine #2
This might actually be more like a triple IPA than a barleywine. I'm calling it Barleywine #2 because of the high gravity of it. In actuality, it is really a triple IPA. Perhaps a triple + IPA. You be the judge. In the end, I'l be the guy enjoying it and I'll tell folks it is whatever I think it tastes like in the end. LOL It's most likely to be called a triple IPA when I present it to friends. We'll see.

10lbs 2-row
5lbs Belgium Pilsner malt
3lbs British Pale malt
(can you tell I'm using up my old stock for the sake of using it up?)
2lbs wheat malt
0.5lb carapils crystal malt

Typical mash-in at 125F into 5 gallons of water
Stepped mash to 140F 30 min
to 145F 45 min
to 150 30 min
to 155 30 min
to 160 30 min (what is the point? I don't know, I just like doing it this way)

heat off (don't taste real sweet, I mean it's sweet. But not sweet like 20lbs of malt should taste)

I wait for it to cool off to 155F with lots of stirring and add a tablespoon of A&B. enzyme mix and stir it up, put the lid on and watch the latest episode of Game of Thrones.

Finish watching the latest episode of GOT and then bottled the Barleywine I brewed in Feb. of this year. Got that done, back to the brew I'm brewing.

Check the temp., it's down to 140F. Taste: It is sweeter than a kid lost in a willy wonka factory. Good enough for me, let's keep going.

Moving on to the sparge, and getting into the boil. Typical sparge, 2 gallons of hot as hell water, as hot as I can stand to handle. (Folks, I can be more scientific but I just wasn't in the mood for it tonight) Moving on to the boil.

BOIL:
1oz Chinook 90 min
1oz Centennial 60 min
30 min......should I add some more Centennial or put some of these Cascade in here? hmm......Eh, dump another oz. of Centennial. Done!
1oz Centennial 30 min
Flame out, 0 min. Dumped 2oz of Cascade and 1oz of Columbus. (I love me some hop aroma)
2oz Cascade 0 min
1oz Columbus 0min

Cool it, cool it, cool it. Cooled down to 65F.
FG, lousy. 1.084 at 88F, it is what it is.

Yeast:
hmm, brew room temps are not well controlled this summer. Time to experiment with that Danstar Saison yeast. I heard it is fairly neutral in the mid 70's.
-One pack Danstar Dry Saison yeast.
Hmm, this is high gravity....should I pitch two packs? Possibly, but the hell with it. Let's see what happens.

Thought I'd add this little note.

Airlock started bubbling within 3 hours. I've never seen seen a yeast take off that fast before. I've allow this to warm up with an ambient temp. in the low 70's. I'm expecting this to brew out really dry.

I like your style. I'm making a big beer tomorrow and I don't know what to call it either. Based on stats, it's an English BW but I'm using US 05 and letting it rip at room temp. Pretty much all I make are big beers and I've gotten to just naming them by the yeast. It's usually 3711 so I call them Big Belgian #1, #2, etc. I know it's not to style but I add about 4oz. (3 gallon batch) of Special B to almost every big beer I make. I've been adding a little crystal, chocolate and special B to my beers lately and they are dynamite. I get caramel, chocolate, and raisin flavor if I let them age.

I always enjoy seeing big beer recipes. Keep up the good work. :mug:

Latest posts

Back