Suggestion for a 1st Time Ale Kit?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

midlifecrisis

Reaction score
My wife bought me two brew kits and equipment from the homebrewery.com but unfortunately both kits were lager kits. From reading here it seems that lagers might not be the best kit to start with due to the fermentation temperature issues (which over time hopefully I can figure out a place with steady 50-55C temps for the lager yeast).

I was hoping to get some suggestions on an extract kit for a first timer. I'm a molecular biologist/yeast geneticist so I have no problem with the technical sides of things (although it is clear that I have a lot to learn about the science of brewing). Any reason to stay away from IPAs for a first timer? If so can anyone recommend a good kit?

I have been looking at kits from midwest supplies and austin homebrew supplies...any other places I should checkout?

I know you guys get lots of questions this time of year from 1st timers, but I would appreciate any input I can get. Hopefully with time I can manage to give back.

Sincerely,

Midlife

Welcome, Midlife! Both places you mention would be fine for ingredient kits. I also like 7 Bridges Cooperative at www.breworganic.com because they sell organic ingredients.

No problem in brewing an IPA to start with - I wouldn't do a big imperial beer, or a double IPA, or a huge belgian to start with. Other than that, a good pale ale or even a porter are good starting beers. Something with a little more flavor, like a porter or IPA, can be good because they're not subtle and not prone to off-flavors.

If you order a kit, I'd opt for some good dry yeast - that way you don't have to worry about making a starter, like you do with liquid yeast.

If you want a good tutorial for your first brew, this guy has put together a series of videos which walk you through in a thorough and straightforward way, using good, solid homebrewing techniques. [ame]http://www.youtube.com/user/HomebrewingVideo#p/u/15/ajEwY_ZRJ8E[/ame]

Good luck and have fun. Cheers!

No reason at all to stay away from an IPA for your first brew if that's what you like to drink.

My advice would be to choose one of the AHS commercial clone kits for a beer that you happen to like.

The instructions in those kits are good, with the exception of telling you to pitch a vial of liquid yeast instead of making a starter.

Are you sure those lager kits include lager yeast? Many of them say they're lagers, but use ale yeasts. If they did come with lager yeast, buy some ale yeast to use with them. That will work fine. There's no reason not to make use of those kits.

Any ale kit from either of those stores will be great.

Sometimes IPA's require dry hopping, in which case you would need a secondary fermenter. Did you get an extra carboy or bucket in your kit?

If you only have one fermenter make sure that you don't get a kit that requirers any type of secondary fermenting chamber additives or dry hopping. (Sounds obvious, but better safe than sorry if you hadn't thought of this).

McCagnigle-- Yes I'm sure they have lager yeast (dry lager yeast saflager S-23). Any suggestions on what ale yeast to try? One kit is "American Lager" the other is "Oktoberfest".

PatMac--I do have a 5 gal carboy for secondary fermentation. I was thinking of trying to dryhop in this and I was going to order some extra hops pellets (Columbus?) for this. I was worried about making the call on when to put into the beer into secondary fermentation--is this crucial or can I make that call by just waiting until the activity level on the airlock drops to to about one bubble every 90 second?

Pappers--thanks for the help and the suggestion on watching that video--very helpful!

I was worried about making the call on when to put into the beer into secondary fermentation--is this crucial or can I make that call by just waiting until the activity level on the airlock drops to to about one bubble every 90 second?

I would wait until all the active fermentation is done to move the beer from primary to secondary. For most beers, that is going to be about 10 days or so, at a minimum. Rack the beer from the primary to the secondary, leaving the trub in the bottom. Put the hops in a grain or hop bag and then into the secondary and let it sit for four to ten days. Then rack into a bottling bucket.

Cheers! :mug:

McCagnigle-- Yes I'm sure they have lager yeast (dry lager yeast saflager S-23). Any suggestions on what ale yeast to try? One kit is "American Lager" the other is "Oktoberfest".

Nottingham or maybe S-05 at the low side of the ale temp range will produce a clean beer. You could get creative and try Kolsch yeast for the Am lager. Heck, you could possibly try a Belgian yeast for that one.

Nottingham at at the low end for the American Lager and a Kolsh or a Munich yeast for the Oktoberfest.

Back