sugar substitute

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chris_newton

Reaction score
Hi all

I have barrelled my first batch of lager, so naturally I am already thinking of my next venture. I love lager so I will be getting another 40 pint kit ( I am not ready for anything more advanced!) I will be getting a different make this time, as I was not keen on the colour of the one I have just done.

What I was wondering is instead of using sugar, is there anything else you can use? If so what sort of shops will sell it, as we don’t have a home brew store near me!

Many thanks for your help you have been great the past week or so

Chris

I am pretty new to brewing as well (on my 5th batch). What do you mean use instead of sugar? Are you referring to the sugars produced in the wort? Or specifically referring to priming sugar?

On a separate note, good luck with the lager. From what I have read, it seems they are much more difficult (because of fermenting temperatures, etc).

Do you mean it's one of those kits that has you add sugar as one of the primary fermentables? Why do they do that???

A great substitute is dry malt extract (DME). It'll taste a lot better than sugar and will add color depending on which color you use (light, medium, dark).

It'll improve your beer a lot. The next step to make your beer *much* better is to add some adjunct grains just for flavor, like crystal or chocolate malt. You don't need to mash them and they make a world of difference with minimal effort.

Cheers :D

Back