Sucker Punch Stout (Black Eye Brew)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mulhaircorey

Reaction score
I was at a party this weekend, and as the night wound towards the end I had a sort of scuffle with a fella who wasn't treating a girl very well. Ended up telling him he needed to relax and apologize to the girl, we started exchanging some pushes before someone got in between us and stopped it. Of course this is when he "calmed down" and then immediately threw a right into the bridge of my nose.. I play hockey and have been hit a few times so the experience isn't anything new. Either way I woke up with a purple nose and a couple of black eyes, had some laughs, and decided I was inspired by the raccoon look I'll be sporting for the next few days. The next batch will be a stout!

Haven't done one yet, so I formulated something of a recipe and was wondering what the guys on the forum thought about it. Here goes:

Fermentables: (57.60 SRM)

4.00 lbs Briess Munich LME - 36%
3.75 lbs American 2-Row Pale Malt - 34%
1.00 lbs Rolled Oats - 9%
0.50 lbs Peated Malt - 4%
0.50 lbs Chocolate Malt - 4%
0.375 lbs Pale Chocolate Malt - 3%
0.50 lbs Crystal 60L - 4%
0.50 lbs Roasted Barley - 4%

Hops: (32 IBU)

1.00 oz Willamette - 60 minute boil
1.00 oz East Kent Goldings 30 minute boil

Yeast:

Burton Ale Yeast (White Labs- WLP023)

4 Vanilla Beans cut up and sitting in 2 oz Vodka to be added at flameout.

OG - Calculated - 1.063
FG - Calculated - 1.019
% ABV - 5.81%

Let me know if anything here is stupid.
Thanks.

Also, I just wanted to make sure that the 3 Roasted Malts and the Crystal 60L don't require mashing, correct?

-Corey

Back