Sucked half gallon of starsan into beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tjosborne

Reaction score
I kegged a bourbon barrel porter today. I had it fermenting in a bottling bucket with a blow off tube going into a half gallon pitcher full of three week old starsan. While transferring i forgot to pull out the blow off tube and it sucked all the starsan in. I dont know what to do. Should I just dump it? I know I'm not to thrilled about drinking a diluted beer even if it is safe to drink or doesn't get infected.

How does it taste? Half gallon is quite a bit. I quite a bit ago sucked back a decent amount into a beer. It was maybe 30oz though at most. I kegged it anyways, and could not taste it in the slightest. It was a sub 4% mild too from what I recall.

How does it taste? Half gallon is quite a bit. I quite a bit ago sucked back a decent amount into a beer. It was maybe 30oz though at most. I kegged it anyways, and could not taste it in the slightest. It was a sub 4% mild too from what I recall.

It tasted like a porter just real diluted. Really bummed about this, the whiskey smelt awesome when i poured it into the keg.

I would dump it...I had a batch once that gave me a upset stomach if I dank more then 1 beer ..I would get super gassy and I even tossed my cookies after drinking 2 1/2 beers of it. I can tell you exactly what happened. I used 5 gallons worth of star-San mix in only 1 gallon of water ...I forgot to finish diluting it and used it like that for my bottle sanitizer.
Its an acid and it will disrupt your gut enzymes if used in to strong of a concentration.

But I have a sensitive gut to so YMMV

I ended up drinking all fifty bottles as it tasted fine...1 beer at a time.

Fuuuuuuuu

fuuuuuuu1.jpg

The 1/2 gallon of Starsan in 5 gallons of beer won't kill you. There is more phosphoric acid in a 2 liter bottle of coke. Since it is Starsan the risk of infection is low too.

I'd drink it as is, although I'm surprised that 10% dilution made it go from excellent stout to diluted porter. That's a much bigger difference than I would have predicted.

Alternatively you can brew a small (or large) batch of a stronger stout and blend the 2.

I'll let it carb and see what happens I guess. Luckily I bought two of the kits back when Northern Brewer had their $20 all grain kit sale so I won't be out too much if I gotta dump it later.

A couple months ago I did the exact same thing. It sucked about a liter of starsan and nasty hop and yeast material into the keg. It was undrinkable. I had to dump it.

I did that once with almost a half gallon but realized it stayed on top, like a Black and Tan. I siphoned it off the top and pressed on. Bobs your uncle!

It was pulled from the top of the bucket through the air hole while kegging so I'm assuming its mixed good. Maybe I'll get lucky though. i guess ill place a sticky note above the spigot so this doesn't happen again.

This has happened to me when cold crashing and I forgot to pull the blow off tube and when the temp drops, it creates a reverse siphon :smack::smack::smack:

Rick

I did that once , maybe a pint got sucked into an IPA and I couldn't detect any difference. From that day forward tho, I always replace the blowoff tube with an airlock after primary is done. 😉

Latest posts

Back