Suck it chillzilla

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jlaureanti

Reaction score
Sooooooo, I have started to construct my own DIY "chillzilla" type device :rockin:

2011-08-08165624.jpg

It is almost complete, but I have no problems sharing the initial setup. I have another ball valve to put on the right side of the 'T'. As of now the pump is just used to whirlpool and transfer through the plate chiller. Soon, O-so-soon the pump will also be used recirculate the mash, but all good things come to those who wait, right? :fro:

Anyway, cheers :mug:

I've always stood out plate chillers up on end. I don't think our pumps have enough umph to clear the air out of them otherwise and you may be wasting some space at the top of the exchanger as it sits now. Good work though and yhou've got it right that you can save some $$$$ compared to the commercial chiller packs out there.

I'm thinking its going to be stood up on its side (vertically and not horizontally) I haven't even pushed water through the setup yet... I do agree that the upside down position is not the best and am more than likely opting for the vertical position.

passedpawn - yes it is a duda diesel plate chiller. I got it from kegcowboy (after I realized i could get it cheaper from duda diesel, but who cares, it was only like $5 cheaper on duda diesel)

I have three thermometer actually, one is digital and two are 1/2" dial thermometers. One dial will be on the wort out (chiller) and another on a tee to the mash tun out.

So I brewed to day and heres the setup I went with.

2011-08-14154121.jpg

2011-08-14154129.jpg

Worked wonderfully. Got the temp down to 80dF when it was almost 110dF outside.. the water was coming out of the tap at 100dF!!!!

(2) 50ft hoses connected by an old immersion chiller... it took 45lbs of ice

I made a porter, a tasty porter at that too.... 10 gallons, 5 of which will be getting bourbon soaked wood chips, mmmmmmmm bourbon....

porter.jpg

Latest posts

Back