such a waste

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toorudez

Reaction score
I had a nice IPA percolating in the primary fermentor for a few weeks. I went out of town for work and came home to a swarm of fruit flies with eggs all over it. I cried a bit inside as the whole thing went down the kitchen sink.

toorudez said:
I had a nice IPA percolating in the primary fermentor for a few weeks. I went out of town for work and came home to a swarm of fruit flies with eggs all over it. I cried a bit inside as the whole thing went down the kitchen sink.

Time to think about a fermentation chamber!

I saw some setups that use a glass carboy with tubing running into a bucket with sanitizer in it. Either that or maybe upgrade to a 7 gallon conical fermenter.

How did they get in? Through the airlock? Pour some Everclear in your airlock next time.

I was using a loose lid plastic fermenter. Now I'll be rethinking the whole setup to prevent this from happening again

Airlocks cost less than $3. I have never considered not using one. *unless open fermentation was appropriate or desirable for a certain style product. Generally I like to keep my environment tightly controlled to achieve a consistent quality product.

A protein drink would have been great. Unfortunately all I could smell was vinegar. And the fruit fly eggs were a bit much.

Time for some research and purchasing parts to make a temperature controlled fermenter enclosure.

ArcaneXor said:
They get in there, too. I hate those damn things.

Not sure why, I live in Florida and ferment in my garage in a converted freezer. Never had a bug problem. Actually with the amount of co2 the the yeast make I would think it's almost impossible for them to live in there. Either way a nice cool co2 heavy environment and a simple airlock with vodka should resolve your problems....

Follow your bubbler with a piece of tubing connected to(downstream) a disassemblable tubular filter. All you need inside are a few moist cotton balls.

Not sure why, I live in Florida and ferment in my garage in a converted freezer. Never had a bug problem. Actually with the amount of co2 the the yeast make I would think it's almost impossible for them to live in there. Either way a nice cool co2 heavy environment and a simple airlock with vodka should resolve your problems....

These things are monsters. They don't care about fermentation at 62 degrees, they are just slightly slowed by low oxygen concentrations, and in their pupae can survive StarSan.

I am pretty sure that I saw a recipe that included fruit fly larvae in secondary- they were described as adding a passionfruit, citrusy bitterness if I recall correctly. :)

Sorry to hear of your loss. :(

My condolences, I imagine it's only a matter of time until it happens to me. I've started by banning any non-refrigerated fruit, and definitely bananas from my house one week before I brew. Maybe I'll get lucky.

In my experience they are attracted to alcohol/fermentation. They are always landing in my whiskey and floating around airlocks. If I leave a fermenter upstairs a few will end up swimming in starsan in my airlock, but I've not yet had an infection from them.

I wouldn't ferment in a plastic bucket!

Use a sanke keg with the spear removed and a good airlock or hose.

My condolences,

northcal said:
I wouldn't ferment in a plastic bucket! Use a sanke keg with the spear removed and a good airlock or hose. My condolences,
This is how I ferment, not because of fruit flies but because IMO it is just better. With the right process they are easier to clean and sanitize. Not to mention the fact I can transfer to my keg with Co2 and not risk infection. I swapped out my buckets for 1/4 slim sanke kegs almost two years ago and never looked back!

In case anyone was wondering, here is the graduation in litres of the Speidel 30L

ForumRunner_20131130_093510.jpg

You shouldn't have left the lid loose. seal it down tightly & use an airlock. I fill mine with vodka so anything that gets in it dies of alcohol poisoning.

No worries there. There's nothing in it yet. Just filled with water to draw the ruler on it. But later tonight it'll be filled with an Irish Stout!

Back