Successful AG brew session!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CanadianQuaffer

Reaction score
Just thought I'd share the news! ('cos I'm pretty pumped about it, lol)

Double Dragon clone from Brew mag a few months ago.
Target pre boil gravity for 6.75 gallons was1.040, we hit 1.044
Target OG was 1.049 for 5.5 gallons, we hit 1.051.
Efficiency was 87% with 32 ppg (how is that even possible with a Rubbermaid cooler set up?!)

Not even 12 hours later and it's ferementing very nicely already.

Two things I learned:

1)Open the balve valve on the MLT SLOWLY. We talked about this in another thread and it really worked. Once I vorlaufed about 2 quarts I let the MLT drain slowly for another 5 minutes or so then I slowly stared to open it up until I could put it on full. Sped things up quite a bit. Still took about an hour to drain the first runnings and two batch sparges, but that's about 1/2 the time it took last time. And with an average of 83% efficiency so far, I'm pretty happy.

2) The importance of aerating the wort properly is NOT to be underestimated. Last batch I figured straining the cooled wort through a sanitized strainer into the bucket would suffice for aeration, and who knows, maybe it was, but fermentation was slow to start (over 24 hours before airlock bubbles). This batch I used my pump and aeration stone for 5 minutes after pouring the wort through the strainer and I saw signs of fermentation after only 8 hours.

Probably the most successful brew session I've ever had.

I'm pretty psyched to try this beer in a few weeks.

Congrats and Cheers! Going to be doing my first All-Grain soon, so this information is helpful to me.

Back