SUBTLE citrus hop

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drengel

Reaction score
I'm coming up with a summertime ale recipe right now, which will probably use lighter malts and lots of wheat, american hefe or cali ale yeast, and a hop combo thta will be refreshing and inviting, with a good bite, but without being bitter or calling too much attention to itself. i'm thinking any milder bittering hop will work OK (i'll probably go with a german variety), and i definitely would like to use some tettnang in the flavor/aroma department, but i want an american hop charcter too thta i think will compliment the tettnang nicely, something with some citrus, but is not ovrwhelming. i'd like a mild orangy/tangerinish sort of aroma in this hop, but i can't think of anything that will fit. any ideas...i may just use a small ammount of cascade/amarillo if i can't think of this ideal hop.

edit: i'm going for somewhat of an approximation of breckenridge brewerys summerbright ale (breckbrew.com), but i want to use a german/american hop combo, rather than their english/american combo.

Yeah, cascade or amarillo is what you are describing. Amarillo has more AA% but it is a "soft" bitter. I love amarillo so far, but I've only used it once. It has a peachy aroma to it.

yeah i guess amarillo fits the description best, and i've used them several times for pale ales and i like their character. i think i'll just go with a small amount.

budbo said:
Cascade, is the standard "citrus" hop

yeah i know, i've just been bored with cascade for a while, but its been a few months since i've used it, so maybe my love for cascade will come back. i was looking for something a bit softer.

anyone used ahtanum before?

Fuggles and EKG aren't citrus hops, but they go well with Tellnang as does Willamette. If you do use Cascades or Amarillo keep it to 1/4 of the amount of Tellnang.

I just finished off a keg of Wheat that I dry hopped with cascades .5 oz to be exact. and it was wonderful, and had the grapfruit flavor that cascades are known for I will be sure to brew this one again
I also use dcascades for the flavor hop and Hallertau for bittering

david_42 said:
Fuggles and EKG aren't citrus hops, but they go well with Tellnang as does Willamette. If you do use Cascades or Amarillo keep it to 1/4 of the amount of Tellnang.

yeah the beer i'm trying to emulate to a degree uses ekgs and fuggles i believe. however i want to do it a little differently with the citrusy hops. i agree on the fraction of tetts to amarillo, probably use tetts at 15 and 5 and amarillo at 5 and maybe 0 or dry, but in small amounts just to liven up the flavor a bit.

Back