Stupid Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OrCoastBrew

Reaction score
Should I sanitize bottle caps before bottling and If I am going to bottle and then be away from home for 5 or 6 weeks is it ok to let the bottles age in a 45F fridge or am I better off just putting them somewhere dark in the house at is at about a constant 60F As always thanks for everyone's help:D

Many don't but it won't hurt. If you are using the O2 absorbing caps only sanitize what you need.

Don't store your bottle at 45*F. You risk putting the bottle yeast to sleep.

Many don't but it won't hurt. If you are using the O2 absorbing caps only sanitize what you need.

Don't store your bottle at 45*F. You risk putting the bottle yeast to sleep.

Mostly correct, except do not sanitize O2 absorbing caps. Wetting the caps activates the O2 absorption and the cap will absorb the O2 in the air and be ineffective by the time you get it on the bottle. Instead cap the bottle dry then invert it to activate the O2 absorbing cap.

The O2 caps are not necessary but you can use them if you like. I always sanitize my regular caps but the chance of infection from a clean dry cap is minimal. Only reason i do it is because it is easy to drop the caps in the liquid I have sitting there for sanitizing the bottles.

Craig

I always sanitize mine because I just leave them in an open bag in my garage. But if you're not lazy like me, I am sure the risk of infection from a cap is minimal.

I sanitize everything that will come in contact with the beer after the boil. With caps, it's easy to do and at that point, why risk blowing all your hard work.

The closet idea is the best. As someone said, the fridge will put the yeast to sleep.

Dennis

Back