Stupid Partial Mash Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SenorHops

Reaction score
If you're a partial mash brewer and you're just doing a brew that only has a steepable grain such as crystal in it, would you even bother doing a mash or would you just use all malt extract and steep the crystal? Also, Can you even mash a few pounds of 2-Row all by itself? Will it convert? And if you can, is it worth bothering?:confused:

If you're a partial mash brewer and you're just doing a brew that only has a steepable grain such as crystal in it, would you even bother doing a mash or would you just use all malt extract and steep the crystal? Also, Can you even mash a few pounds of 2-Row all by itself? Will it convert? And if you can, is it worth bothering?:confused:

Not stupid questions at all.

--Mashing the crystal malt is completely unnecessary.

--Before I began all-grain brewing I would always mini-mash a few pounds of two-row to add depth and character of flavor. Yes, it will convert and yes it's worth it if you like the added flavor. Jusdt be sure to use the right temps, the right water to grain ratio, to let it go long enough (30 mins minimum), and to adjust the amount of malt extract appropriately.

good luck!

Interesting question. I was perusing through tasty brew, fiddling with mash VS steeped grains to see if I could add a recipie calculation function to my brew day spreadsheet. (don't ask, I'm a numbers type). The mashed grains consistently yeilded approximately 35 points per pound per gallon, whereas the steeped yeilded 11 points per pound per gallon. There was no difference in yeild between base malt and specialty grains. Not sure if this is just an abbhoration or the real effect of mashing VS steeping.

--Mashing the crystal malt is completely unnecessary.

Wouldn't it be even more unnecessary to steep your steeping grains in a separate kettle from your mashing grains? Waste of time, work, and money.

Just combine them altogether. A mash is essentially a strict steep with more control over time, temps, and ratios.
You will achieve the same results by mashing the grain together.

Wouldn't it be even more unnecessary to steep your steeping grains in a separate kettle from your mashing grains? Waste of time, work, and money.

Just combine them altogether. A mash is essentially a strict steep with more control over time, temps, and ratios.
You will achieve the same results by mashing the grain together.

I was thinking the same thing. The only thing I was unsure of is whether or not tannins would be extracted from the crystal malts during a longer mash.

Latest posts

Back