Stupid Outdoor Brewing Question - Burners for Newbies

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mermaid

Reaction score
Forgive my stupid question - I guess I'm looking for a common sense check.

I'm looking to invest in some outdoor brewing equip. A burner with a stand, and a 7.5 ga. pot.

I live in an apartment (a 2-flat) with an open (wooden) back porch.

There's a small patch of somewhat uneven paved surface next to the porch, and I also have a driveway (but no garage)

Is it possible /practical to buy some flat paving stones to put on the wooden porch to set the burner on it ? (as it seems highly illogical to set a burner down on a wooden porch).

Try and create a level surface on the "paved" area next to the porch, or should I just set everything up on the driveway and show off my brewing prowess to anyone who happens to walk/drive past the house?

Having no experience with an outdoor cooker (aside from the propane grill we have on the porch) - I'm not really sure what makes the most sense.

The driveway seems safest, but also the most annoying.

Any thoughts?

You can brew on the deck. You can probably even do it with nothing underneath the burner. The surface beneath the burner actually does not get that hot. Many people on this site have wooden brew stands taht they have built and put their burners. I would probably get a piece of flasing or some stones as you suggested though just for piece of mind if nothign else.

it also depends on what burner you have, it can get pretty hot under a burner and i remember one poster here complaining about the scorch mark he put on his deck. before i bought a stand i brewed on a couple of wooden tables and what i did was put a square of plywood under the stand, worked fine.

That sounds like a good idea! I actually have an old iron aquarium stand sitting around that would probably be a great makeshift brew stand.

Check your local fire codes and your lease. In some towns and cities it is against the fire code to have a grill on your deck.

Grill on the deck is not a problem. Landlord already knows about that (and the porch above ours is something like 12 ft.).

If you want to create level surface on the uneven area, buy a bag of quickrete and make a pad. If you don't wet it too much, you really don't even need to build forms, just need 2x4 or something smooth it.

Pick a spot that works best for you and where you store your basic brewing equipment you haul out each time. If I was a long term renter I would see about erecting a small shed that you store your stuff in and brew at the door out of the wind and rain and store your stuff there. I store my system under a bbq tarp (in back of inside of the garage)and it does not show anyone what is under it. Looks like a bbq to most people. Protects it from dust as well. Rolls out and way we go. Propane stand on garage floor. Look long term and do it right once. Buy the best equipment you can afford and sanitize alot!!! It takes the same time to make it right as to cut corners and then try to figure out what went array!

Back