stupid mistake...added all hops at once

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Delphi270

Reaction score
hey guys,

I am making a Brown Ale right now and in classic fashion, I have forgotten to read the directions. I added all three packets of hops at once into the wort. The directions say to add bittering, wait 45 minutes, add flavoring, etc. Did I destroy this batch by adding all at once?

Post the recipe, then we can give you a better idea of what you will have. But for the most part it will be an overly bitter brown ale.

It may be a bit bitter, over time the bitterness will subside. I would not say ruined though.

Post the receipt

It's a brewer's best Brown Ale. You are supposed to add the Willamette Bittering Hops first, wait 45 minutes, add Willamette flavoring hops, then wait 10 minutes, then add aroma hops.

Make a hop tea by boiling 3 oz of hops in a few cups of water for 15 mins and add to the fermenter then dry hop with another 2 oz of hops and call it an IPA. Might wanna do a 30 min boil with 2 more oz of hops too.

Cool. You just brewed an India Brown Ale. I would just add some aroma hops if possible, and then dry hop it after a few days.

Willamette is pretty mellow on the bittering side. you should be fine. or like others have mentioned you can call it a North Cascadian ale and add more hops

It's be fine - it will probably taste great, it might just be a bit "off type." Go forward from here and learn from this one.

Back