Stupid Keezer build question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LILJONNYWV

Reaction score
I have been looking at some of these great keezer builds and I have been trying to figure out what the fans are for exactly. I am trying to get all the info to build one before I buy everything.

I have been looking at some of these great keezer builds and I have been trying to figure out what the fans are for exactly. I am trying to get all the info to build one before I buy everything.

Chest freezers, unlike most refrigerators, have no fan to move the air around. This leads to significant temperature stratification where the air temp in the uppper part of the freezer can be significantly warmer than the air near the bottom. The fans keep the air moving which results in more uniform temperatures throughout. The moving air is cooled as it passes over the walls which typically have the evaporator coils embedded in them. The moving air will also cool off whatever you put in the freezer faster for the same reason. I installed a fan and I run it continuously. IMO, this was a major improvement at a very low cost.

The other two posters have the most likely reason, to even out the air temperature.

If the keezer is a coffin style, however, the fan could be used to keep the lines in the tower cooler (resulting in less foamy first pours). Also, they sometimes will use fans outside the keezer but within the wooden enclosure the keezer is in to blow the hot air from the back of the keezer out and away, helping keep the compressor running efficiently.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/chest-freezer-keezer-conversion-mikees-diy-build-242624/

The fan is key to keeping the keezer dry and temps cool and consistent.

To build it, I purchased a piece of 5 inch PVP tube from Home Depot. I cut it to length, then attached an aluminum piece of duct work which I found at Home Depot. This duct work is 5 inches round on one end and square on the other, which fits perfect for the square fan. I duct taped the fan to this. With the fan at the top, it sucks cool air up the tube, then blows it on the beverage lines and faucets. I cut holes at the bottom of the tube, around it's side to allow air to be drawn up the tub

Would the same idea be needed for freezers used as ferm chambers?

I doubt it would hurt, but I don't think it is necessary. With a fermentation chamber the temperature differential is much smaller, resulting in less stratification. IMO a thermowell in the beer is the best way to properly manage fermentation temperatures. The temperature sensor in a cup of water next to the fermenter would be a close second option.

Back