Stupid Better Bottle question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cvstrat

Reaction score
Update: So I went to my LHBS for some bottle caps yesterday and I asked him if I was doing something wrong, or did the caps just not fit. He checked and sure enough the orange caps are too big, the maroon caps are too small. He said something about the design of the BB changing slightly and that he was unaware the caps no longer fit. He said he'd take them back for a refund.

So for the apfelwein and "blood of the D - Rainman Amber Ale" that were fermenting with the ghetto orange cap/tape I replaced those caps w/rubber stoppers and airlock like I should have used from the beginning. During the time when I had the orange caps I noticed fermentation, but 0 bubbles in the airlock. My guess is that even w/the tape, the CO2 was finding a way out other than the airlock. I believe since the Apfelwein has pretty solid fermentation for a long time, and the blood of the D was in it's initial stages w/significant krausen going on, wouldn't I not have to worry about any extra oxidation from O2 contact, since the CO2 was probably perpetually expelling whatever hole there was? Note: they are both bubbling happily away w/the new stopper.

Original:

Ok this is going to sound idiotic, but I have been brewing with glass carboys as secondary. I decided to brew some apfelwein and picked up a 6 gal better bottle and the orange rubber cap thing.

Anyway I managed to squeeze the airlock in the cap, but the cap itself doesn't fit very snugly at all on the top of the better bottle. I tried pushing it on pretty hard but it doesn't click or snap in place. I almost feel like it's too big, but I looked and i only see one size that fits 3/5/6 gallon bb's.

Am I not pushing hard enough, or is that just how it is supposed to fit? I don't really have access to a bung that will fit and I already pitched the yeast for the apfelwein. I left it to start fermenting but I wanted to make sure it's airtight.. Any ideas?

There seem to be two models of orange carboy caps. One works great, the other one is useless.

I have since switched to Medium Universal Carboy Bungs - they create the best seal. You do lose the second port, but I never used that with my carboy caps anyway.

the universal bungs also wont push into the bottle and a are lot easier to get out. i

I've found two different versions of the MAROON carboy caps too. One fits my 6 gallon better bottles very snug (the ones I got from Austin HBS). The other won't go on at all (from my local HBS). If you hold them up to each other, you can see a noticable difference in size. Buyer beware.

I simply cut off a small portion of the top and the airlock fits fine.

EDIT: sorry, I didn't read closely enough so I answered the wrong question...

Mine doesn't fit as snug as I'd like either, so I just use a rubber band or zip tie to hold it on tight. Beats buying another one for the time being.

I purchased some blue painters tape ealier today which I was planning on using to label my carboys with beer name and date. I ended up using it to tape tight as hell around the cap and neck of the BB so I know there is no air coming in. Kinda lame though. It was for a batch of apfelwein. It's been about 15 hours and no bubbles yet, but I see some action on the surface.

....You do lose the second port, but I never used that with my carboy caps anyway.

Having done all my brewing in buckets (until tonight I put one in my shiny new..okay used but free... carboy with a cork style bung) I don't even know what the ports are for one these orange carboy caps.... could someone enlighten me?

Posted by Corkster...

I don't even know what the ports are for one these orange carboy caps.... could someone enlighten me?

I use them to attach blow-off tubes when fermenting beer.

Insert one end of a length of plastic tubing (of the proper OD to render a snug fit) into the side port, and run the other end into a jug/bucket with just enough water in it to cover that end of the tubing.

This creates an additional airlock on the fermentor, and you will then be ready for significant krausen...that is...IF...your jug/bucket is of sufficient size...without the worry of...NORMALLY!...fouling up, or clogging up, and blowing out, your three-piece airlock!

This gadgit/rig comes in very handy when making a five gallon batch of beer in, say, a six, or even six and a half, gallon carboy!

Not to mention a FIVE!!!

Pogo

Back