StuckFermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrduna01

Reaction score
So I am wondering if I have a stuck fermentation. On top of the wort there is a small amount of what looks like yeast and very very small amount of foam that's spread out and thin. It's 90 percent clear otherwise. I have a gravity of 1.2. I believe it's still going but I have good seals and no airlock activity and the waterline is completely level. Are we stuck?

Do you mean 1.020? There's a lot of other questions to be asked, but the easiest is do you still see any bubbles coming from the airlock? Just watch it for a minute or two and if you still see some then it's still going. If you want you can slosh it around a bit to mix things up and that might help. What temp do you have it at?

Do you mean 1.020? There's a lot of other questions to be asked, but the easiest is do you still see any bubbles coming from the airlock? Just watch it for a minute or two and if you still see some then it's still going. If you want you can slosh it around a bit to mix things up and that might help. What temp do you have it at?

Yes, 1.02. Like I said there is 0 airlock activity. :(. The temp is probably a steady 70 degrees.

Ok. Was it all grain or extract. What temp are you fermenting at. How far into fermentation is it? If it's all grain, what was your mash temp? What was your OG?

Ok. Was it all grain or extract. What temp are you fermenting at. How far into fermentation is it? If it's all grain, what was your mash temp? What was your OG?

It's an extract with OG of 1.05 that has been in the fermented for 7 days but only fermenting for 4 to 5 at 70 degree temp.

Well, it has only been a week. Did you properly aerate the wort before pitching the yeast? Either way you are at 60% attenuation right now. Perhaps agitate some more and wait another week before taking a gravity reading and cross your fingers.

+1 on agitation. i had a saison stick on me earlier this summer, so i gave shook the carboy to give the yeast a good swirl and it kicked out a final product at a bone dry 1.000...not sure what beer you are brewing and what final gravity you are going for, but a little swirl could be an easy way to get things going.

so there are no bubbles at all? or are they just far apart? i have a brown ale fermenting at day 12 with bubbles at about 1.5 min intervals, sometimes up to 2 minutes. but it was fermented in cooler temps of 60-65 because of the yeast i used, thus giving a slower fermentation.

I'd say keep the temp steady and leave it alone for a week or two. Remember the airlock only acts as a vent and doesn't indicate whether or not fermentation is taking place. Just simply means there is no co2 to vent.

+2 on agitation (gently-no air!), also what was your strain of yeast? English yeasts often flocculate early, especially with temperature changes-agitation will help this. Any crystal or caramel malts? Those also raise FG. Finally, I always give 2 weeks in primary-not gonna hurt and in your case could only help.

Best luck!

Back