Stuck, unstuck, restuck again; but still salvaged the batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oceantendency

Reaction score
So yesterday I decided to try my creativity again with a experimental Sweet Amber Ale recipe that all my buds would like, but also the wifey might drink as well.

12.44lbs in the grain bill, used 1.33qts per lb, so I started with 4.14 gallons of strike water. 150*70min, then vorlaffed my first qt, gently poured back into my tun, everything seemingly going perfect as planned, runnings started to go clear, so I opened up to the 1/4 mark and let her go as normal. about 2 minutes in, it got stuck. So I shook the cubed cooler back and forth, trying to dislog the stuck braided hose and just barely wanted to trickle out and I mean barely, then stopped. I tried using my spoon to restir and no go. Luckily I had my sparge water heated up already as well as another 2/3 gallon on the stove almost boiling for some emergency water. Used the 2/3 gallon first, got it unstuck and then halfway through draining. Stuck again. Poured in my whole sparge water to thin the mash and finally got unstuck again, but I know my effeciency sacrificed and also in the freak out realized I added about a gallon too much sparging water. Saved the batch, but I'm sure it will attenuate lower than target, but any suggestions on my braid.

My set up is a large cubed wheeled cooler with a 1/4" valve and braided hose. How often do you guys replace the braided hose? I should probably take a pic when I get home to add for more questionable equipment failure. I also usually use 1.5 qts per 5 gallons and this was def a lil bit thicker mash than what I normally run. I will probably replace the hose to be on the safe side since I want to brew again here is a couple weeks after my Amber Ale is done and don't want to screw up again or have the whole draining part take over an hour again.

Does anyone have better luck with a circular braid versus straight braid versus making a copper squared manifold versus PVC manifold? Contemplating the change if it will help. Thanks in advance.

Back