Stuck Runoffs......

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GABrewboy

Reaction score
Okay, this weekend I brewed a nice HEFE and actually hit my effic. for once...in fact hit 80% effic. My only problem is with my new cooler and manifold I am getting stuck sparges and runoffs like crazy using the SS braid. Should I build something with PVC of copper for the cooler bottom to help with this stuck runoff problem? If so, can you direct me to some pictures or posts that have the directions? I know that wheat beers can get a stuck sparge, but this has happened 3 times now with this new cooler and the last 2 were ale brews.....so something isn't liking me very much.....any help would be great!!!

Yeah, it is stainless! I had it in my other cooler that I got rid of because I kind of broke the lid.....so went with this 48qt rectangular cooler. It worked fine in the other cooler, but doesn't work worth a crap in this new cooler.....weird hunh!

So what is different? (Yes I know the cooler)
Is the spigot a different design? Is it the braid that's collapsing or clogging?

If you can get hold of some 1" copper and elbows I'd try a manifold.

Very weird. That must be really frustration. You can obviously go for a manifold or false bottom, but it would really bug me as to why the braid worked before. I'll think on it.

I built my manifold, it is simple and works great! All you need is a long tube of coper... I think mines 1" diameter, 4 elbows, 1 center piece and a saw.. nothing is glued, it is a pretty tight fit, so stays together great, I sawed a bunch of slits on the underside:

7564-MLT.jpg

Yeah, I know it is really strange.....I didn't have the manifold in the other cooler, just a drain plug and piece of cooper attached to the SS braid.....could the manifold have something to do with this? If I go with building a piped bottom, should I go with cooper or pvc and what is the easiest way to attach this to the manifold?

Kindof defies logic--it seems like something must have happened during installation in the new cooler that's casueing it not to work well. There is absolutely no reason why a SS braid drain that works in one cooler would not work just as well in another. Is it the same valve assembly or whatever that was in your old cooler?

GABrewboy said:
Yeah, I know it is really strange.....I didn't have the manifold in the other cooler, just a drain plug and piece of cooper attached to the SS braid.....could the manifold have something to do with this? If I go with building a piped bottom, should I go with cooper or pvc and what is the easiest way to attach this to the manifold?

Wait a minute--you have a SS braid *and* a manifold in there? I'm confused.

I think that what you're calling a "piped bottom" is what the rest of the world means when they say "manifold."

Ooopsss.....sorry!! Your right......Dang time has me all confused here!!! I have a SS braid attached to the faucet!! I am looking to build a manifold......:drunk:

Latest posts

Back