Stuck Milk Stout Fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tim-boSlice

Reaction score
I am brewing an AHB Left Hand Milk Stout clone from an extract kit. The OG was 1.066 after I pitched the yeast (I know...but I spilled the first sample) and after four weeks in the primary it is only down to 1.022. According to the Austin Homebrew instructions FG should be 1.012.

It was fermenting downstairs in my house and it has started to get cold recently but it hasn't dropped below 60. I brought it upstairs and gave it a swirl.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

It's probably done fermenting. I often brew a LHMS clone that is on this site. That beer typically starts at around 1.068 and finishes at 1.022. The lactose doesn't ferment out so the FG will be higher.

1.012 is nonsense for a milk stout since it has lactose and a bunch of other unfermentables. A pound of lactose in a 5g batch will raise the FG by about .007.

1.022 is where my choc milk stout brewed in February finished and it was truly done. BTW, plan of giving that batch at least an extra few weeks, maybe longer, in the bottles to reach best flavor.

It's done. A milk stout will never finish at 1.012.

Mine usually end up in the 1.020.1.025 range depending on the recipe.

Back