stuck Mash tun

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hmmmbeer

Reaction score
So I brewed a new wheat beer for a friends birthday (10 gallons at that) and my mash tun got stuck so I had to use my stiring stick to keep it flowing and my wort came out thick (cloudy to no other!), if I were to run it through my mash tun (after already pitching my yeast) and filtering it again with just my filter (no grains, they are in the yard for the first now) would it clean it up at all? I've been brewing for about 3 years now and this is the worst I've evern seen a beer turn out, looks almost like a oatmeal LOL :(
Thanks for any advice!

Throw in some rice hulls! They help with wheat malt, as wheat malt has no husk. Also, replacing some of the 2row (If you have any) with 6row helps, too. Lots of husk on 6row.

yeah, I had already thought of rice hulls with the grains (as my mash tun got stuck). should I throw some rice hulls in while I filter the now beer?

Eh, it's a wheat beer. Supposed to be cloudy. But yeah, I keep a giant bag of rice hulls in the garage. Anything with an adjunct like wheat, rye, oats, etc. get a few giant handfuls in the mash.

I think you will loose a lot of yeast if you filter now
And how would you even sanatize rice hulls?

The trub will compact in the bottom of the fermenter anyway

My mash stuck last weekend too. It happened once before as well. I need to remember to get rice hulls. In both instances I stirred the mash during the sparge to keep it moving. The wort in the kettle was very cloudy but the first beer turned out fine this one will to. As someone already mentioned it should all fall out in the trub anyway.

My mash stuck last weekend too. It happened once before as well. I need to remember to get rice hulls. In both instances I stirred the mash during the sparge to keep it moving. The wort in the kettle was very cloudy but the first beer turned out fine this one will to. As someone already mentioned it should all fall out in the trub anyway.

I sure hop(intentional) it does, it is thicker than I've ever seen... looks like this one will be a long secondary ferment! Worst part of this batch is that it was a special brew for a friends birthday... good thing its not until May! Thanks for all the replies! I'll just leave it alone and let it do its job.

So I brewed another batch of beer and my Mash Tun got stuck again... even when I had all the grains were out of it... I'm confused! I've brewed so many brews with this Mash Tun and I've never had a problem. I'm using a cooler with the SS hose with Cooper coil inside of it and a 1/2" T and a 1/2" ball valve, I'm lost as to what to do other than making a bazooka filter or something... Anyone have any other ideas? My hobby shouldn't frustrate me!

Maybe I'm missing something or misread you initial post, but if you had all the grain out of your mash tun and you were still stuck wouldn't that imply something stuck in your SS braid or the copper pipe? Again maybe I misread but have you checked for a clog?

No, you read it right. I have a 3 piece ball valve and I even opened that, took the SS braid off, etc. got it down to each piece and it still clogged.

Might be worth a picture or two for the folks here to see what you're working with. I don't use a SS braid. I have a domed false bottom in my 10 gallon Rubbermaid drink cooler mash tun and a copper manifold in my 4 gallon mash tun. So I don't know if this happens or not but since you haven't had an issue up to this point, but you've been using it a while, did something wear out, collapse, etc? Again maybe a few pictures would help.

I never could figure out how to post pics on this forum. I'm using a Rectangular cooler with a SS braid used for a washing machine hose (took the rubber out and put a copper wire coiled like a spring inside of the SS braid) a SS ‘T’ to a 2” SS nipple to my ball valve. I’m going to break it down again and see if I missed something.

I've decided that I'm going to just rebuild the "filter". I'm going to turn to the CPVC option over my SS braided bottom, its easy/cheap enough and worth a shot.

Latest posts

Back