Stuck mash + mashout = higher efficiency?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brew2enjoy

Reaction score
I brewed a version of Biermuncher's "Blue Balls" Blue moon clone last weekend. It was my first AG wheat beer. I used about 1/2lb of rice hulls which apparently wasn't enough. As soon as I started to drain my first runnings it slowed down to a trickle for a few minutes and then stopped after about 1/2 gallon. I stirred, vorlaufed and it started back up for about 1 minute and stuck again. I continued to do this for the entire process, including the batch sparge. I would say I probably had to stop and stir at least 5-6 times.
I normally get right around 72% efficiency with my system batch sparging. My preboil numbers were 6.25 gal @ 1.050 SG. If my numbers are correct, I got 88% efficiency. I did a mash-out for the first time also. Mashed out with 3 gal of 190ish degree water to bring the grain beg up to 170. Did my constant stirring increase efficiency or was it the mashout? or both?

Either way I'll end up with beer. FG was 1.060, well above what it was supposed to be so I diluted it a bit with some water. This beer was supposed to be a nice warm weather, low abv thirst quencher :D

Here's the recipe...
4.50 lb Pale Malt Crisp (UK) (3.0 SRM)
5.00 lb Wheat, Flaked (1.6 SRM)
.500 lb Acidulated malt
1.00 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00%] (60 min)
0.75 oz Coriander Seed (Boil 5.0 min)
0.75 oz Orange Peel, Bitter (Boil 5.0 min)
DFH "DNA" yeast

Mashed at 152 for 60 min.
Mashout w/ 3 gal @ 190
Batch sparge w/ 2.5 gal @ 170

I'd say it was a combo of all of the stirring and the very slow runoff that increased your efficiency..

Back