Stuck in BeerSmith with Est. Mash pH

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

premington

Reaction score
I have a recipe for an American ale that I've crafted using BeeerSmith for the recipe and Bru'n Water for the water adjustments. The two are in sync.

When I'm in BeerSmith I set everything to have a final mash pH of 5.4. I made all the adjustments in Bru'n Water and everything clocks in at 5.4. I move all this data to BeerSmith and it also reports 5.4. Good... All's well.

UNTIL I go to the Session screen in BeerSmith. That reports the 5.4, but also reports Estimated Mash pH as 5.84 with a red marker next to the number. I've been fiddling with things and can't seem to figure out how to get this number down. In Bru'n Water, everything looks okay.

Bru'n Water calculated I need a mild acid addition (using lactic) to lower the pH, which I added. I also added this addition in the Design window on BeerSmith. Is the 5.84 pH reflecting the estimated pH before adding the lactic acid? I add it to the water before dough in, so it seems to me the estimated mash pH should be 5.4 not 5.84.

What am I missing?

The pH estimation in BeerSmith is a new function and is still, IMHO, to be taken lightly. It misses the additions made in the design page and overestimates the amounts of acid or acid malt addition by a large margin. The water additions seems to calculate OK, but within the recipe, take it with a grain of salt (pun intended).

Back