Stuck Fermentation???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gilbey

Reaction score
I am new to the site....lots of good info so far!

I haven't brewed in a couple years, but getting back into it now, extract brewing for now, all grain is in my future though.

Now my question.....in the past I never had a problem with stuck fermentation. For my first batch in years I am brewing a strong American brown ale. Yesterday I racked my batch into a secondary after about 4-5 days in the primary. Floculation was excellent for the first 2-3 days in the primary and then tapered off as normal. In almost 36 hours there is absolutely no activity in my secondary fermenter....no bubbles, no foam, no nuthin'.

I don't remember this happening in the past. Am I stuck??? If so, what's the solution???

TIA

Gilbey

Most likely the first active fermentation is done. No need to worry quite yet.
From my experiences you'll hardly see any action at all in the secondary.

Do you have a hydrometer? The "best" way to tell if you are stuck is to see what the gravity is. If you've brewed before you'll know what to look for, if you have questions, keep searching or keep asking!!! :D

OG was 1.080, but stupidly I forgot to take a hydrometer reading when I racked.....out of practice I am afraid. I DID remember to taste it though, and so far so good.

So should I take a reading tonight, and then take another reading after the weekend? Or should I just let it hang out for a few days before I even worry about it?

Thanks for your help.

Gilbey

Gilbey said:
OG was 1.080, but stupidly I forgot to take a hydrometer reading when I racked.....out of practice I am afraid. I DID remember to taste it though, and so far so good.

So should I take a reading tonight, and then take another reading after the weekend? Or should I just let it hang out for a few days before I even worry about it?

Thanks for your help.

Gilbey

I seriously would not worry about it. Let it sit in secondary for a week, better yet 2 weeks, and take a hydrometer reading then. The more exposure to elements the greater chance of picking up nasties.

1.080???? Yikes! That's gonna knock you socks off!!! :D

Thanks for the advice. I will let it sit for a while and not worry about it.

Yes, 1.080....I went a little overboard....I did say it was STRONG ;)

Gilbey

Whooopps....so I did a hydrometer check this weekend. I drew my sample with a sterile syphoning tube. I put the sample in my hydrometer jar and.....what the heck???? This can't be right!?!!?!? Check it again, and it's a totally different number????? What the......?????

Upon closer examination I have discovered that my hydrometer is defunct. The little rolled up paper insert inside has come loose and is moving all over the place!!! As mentioned I have not brewed in a couple years, and all my gear has been laying around in boxes.

So my OG of 1.080 is suspect at best! Guess it's time for a new hydrometer........

But on a positive note, there is some activity now in my secodary, so all is good in the beer world!

Gilbey

Back