Stuck fermentation twice with Sweet Mead yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bad Alien Bob

Reaction score
I have had a traditional mead batch get stuck way too early twice now using Wyeast Sweet Mead yeast. The first time I just followed the directions and pitched it straight from the package. Once it stalled I used some D47 yeast starter to kick it off again and that worked. This time, I used an apple juice starter that sat for 24 hours before pitching. It was very vigorous at first, but now it's stuck at about 4% ABV (OG 1.104, now 1.077).

My batch size is 4.25 gallons. I am using a nutrient mix of DAP:Fermaid K (2:1). 3/4tsp at start and then 1/4tsp each day for four days. I agitate it once per day.

Anything I'm not getting right in my process? Any suggestions? Thanks!

What's your ambient temperature? Could try making it slightly warmer, and see if that helps boost fermentation. There are a lot of possible factors limiting fermentation. This is the easiest one to change, for the most part, without even opening the carboy.

It could be pH, something else killing off the yeast, or a lot of different things. Good luck in your investigations!

What's your ambient temperature? Could try making it slightly warmer, and see if that helps boost fermentation. There are a lot of possible factors limiting fermentation. This is the easiest one to change, for the most part, without even opening the carboy.

This morning, it's at 73F, though we've been going through a bit of a warm stretch, so I expect it to go up from there.

to report back: it appears that the missing ingredient is patience. :ghostly:

I do think that temperature might have been at the top end of this yeast's range as it seems to slow activity as the day warms up and increases if it is around 73F.

It's a slow perk now.

Back