Stuck Fermentation after repitched

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clarkwisconsin

Reaction score
I've made a brown ale a couple times from a recipe I basically got from this site and I never had a problem with the way it came out until this time. The OG was 1.052 which wasn't far off from my beer smith which said it would be about 1.050. I got it down to about 72 degrees and pitched the S-05 and went to bed and when I woke up it was bubbling away. It cooled down a little more over night and was down to 70 degrees which was in range for the yeast so it was all good. Next day it stopped and I didn't really worry until a week and I checked it and it was only 1.030. I waited two more days and checked and it was still the same. I repitched and also put it in a colder room which kept it at about 66 degrees. I checked like a hour later and it started bubbling already and then I went to bed and didn't check it till after work and it stopped bubbling again and I wasn't worried yet until I checked the gravity 4 days later and now it was 1.028. I boiled a little water with some brown sugar in it and some yeast nutrients to see if I could start something up with the yeast and checked today which was three days later and it didn't change. I have no clue what's wrong. There is no weird smell or taste. The only difference this time is I put two oz of pumpkin spice tea in it bc my wife loves that tea and asked if I could make the brown ale with the tea.Could it be the tea or something else?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Not enough info. Is this all-grain, partial mash, or extract w/steeping grains?

What you need for a good fermentation: Healthy yeast, fermentable wort, oxygenation (pre-pitch only). People always want to add more yeast, but this has low chances for success, because sugars are gone, alcohol inhibits growth, oxygen is gone.

My advice: stop adding stuff to the beer. Move it back to a warmer room, give it some gentle swirls to stir it up, and leave it alone again. If it still doesn't work, then bottle it and start planning your next beer.

Cheers,

It's all grain and I moved it to a colder place since the max temp on the yeast is 74 degrees. I also stirred the everything when I put the brown sugar in.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back