Strong smell!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Travisbrew

Reaction score
I'm getting ready to bottle tonight and opened my fermenter to smell a ridiculously strong hoppy/alcohol smell coming from my fermenter. I tried a tiny taste of it and its almost to strong too drink. Is this because its just been dry hopped and hasn't been cleared in the bottles yet or is my beer just going to be ruined?

depends on the ingredients, style, length of fermentation, yeast, how long it was before and after dry-hopping, etc. if the beer is still fermenting, the bottles will explode if the beer is not done fermenting yet. if it's just a lot of hops, they'll mature into the beer the longer it's bottled. it's not ruined; i'd measure the gravity, then again in 3 days. if it's still the same, then bottle and let it sit for a few weeks

I agree with the previous posts, dumping the beer should be a last resort. Kit timelines show the shortest possible fermentation time. Use a hydrometer to determine if it's done. Also dry hopping can produce strong aroma and will mellow out over time.

You need to read a post earlier from earlier on this forum. Called "never dump your beer"...its about 8 threads down

Well my beer was done after 2 1/2 weeks of fermenting and taking readings. It is an IPA brewed at around 72 degrees most of the time and after the 2 1/2 weeks was up and I took all my readings and dry hopped it with 1 oz cascade and 1 oz centennial. Left it in there for 7 days (today was the 7th day) and when I went to open it and bottle the smell was just overbearing, but then after I bottled all the beer I tried a taste again and it wasn't bad, the corn sugar calmed down the hop and alcohol flavor a lot.

Well my beer was done after 2 1/2 weeks of fermenting and taking readings. It is an IPA brewed at around 72 degrees most of the time and after the 2 1/2 weeks was up and I took all my readings and dry hopped it with 1 oz cascade and 1 oz centennial. Left it in there for 7 days (today was the 7th day) and when I went to open it and bottle the smell was just overbearing, but then after I bottled all the beer I tried a taste again and it wasn't bad, the corn sugar calmed down the hop and alcohol flavor a lot.

Ya I usually ferment an IPA at around 64 degrees. It helps keep fusels in check. The hoppiness is from the dry hop and it will diminish over time. I think it will be great. Give it a couple weeks and you'll see.

I think you just have a really good batch.. Bottle it up bro it will mellow out... Same thing went on with my dunklewiezen I brewed a couple months back I just bottled it up stuck it under my better brews checked on it recently and it came out fine.. Not my best nor my favorite style but drinkable all the same...cheers!

Awesome thanks guys. @scoundrel; Will the fusels diminish over time as well or am I going to have that taste in my beer the whole time?

Awesome thanks guys. @scoundrel; Will the fusels diminish over time as well or am I going to have that taste in my beer the whole time?

Fusels will diminish somewhat over time. Yeast have an almost magical ability to reabsorb many of the off-tasting chemicals that result from imperfect fermentation practices. It will be a whole different beer after a month (or two) in the bottles, believe me :mug:

Time is your friend here, but it will really depend on how pronounced the fusels are. It may take a a few weeks, a few months or in extreme cases never. Many people have had fusely beers that have turned out great after a few months.

IMO let it sit and try one once a month. In the mean time brew another beer or two so you can forget about this one for awhile and of course watch you temps :)

Its really hard for me to watch my temps considering my wife keeps the house at 71-72 degrees because she gets cold really easy. Any suggestions to keep it lower?

search swamp cooler on here, its basically a big rubbermade round bin that you fill with water, set your carboy in, and can maintain temps with frozen bottles of water and an aquarium heater

There's loads of advice in this forum about temp control.
Use the search function in the upper right corner of the main page (in the beer mug) and search for 'swamp cooler'.
Temp control can be as simple as putting your fermenter in a plastic tub of water that's cooler than the air temp.

I love the evap cooler method, I work from home a lot so I don't need a bin filled with water. I just put the fermenter on top of a towel, put a t shirt over it, and mist it down every now and then.

I also keep frozen gallon jugs in my closet, and a fan if necessary. I finally have my brew closet "dialed in" so I know what I need to do to keep it 65-68 while the outside temps hit the 80's.

Great idea OSUmoney83! Just a wet shirt and a fan should drop it from 72 to about the right temp I need!

Back